Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Loading up slackware
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loading up slackware

Loading up slackware

Hi

I am a complete n00b when it comes to installing Linux.. I tried installing Red Hat and it all turned to custard when trying to load it up. Anyway I tried Slackware 8.0... installed and everything. When it boots it asks for root password or whatever... after this it just sits at command prompt. I have used linux at university a fair bit but how do I get up a GUI of some sort? Does slackware even have one??

Please bear with my lack of knowledge ;D

Re: Loading up slackware

quick check to see if you have X installed

run
    Code:
    init 5
    or even
    Code:
    startx
    Then tell us what happens

Kind Mastermind

Hi

I am a complete n00b when it comes to installing Linux.. I tried installing Red Hat and it all turned to custard when trying to load it up. Anyway I tried Slackware 8.0... installed and everything. When it boots it asks for root password or whatever... after this it just sits at command prompt. I have used linux at university a fair bit but how do I get up a GUI of some sort? Does slackware even have one??

Please bear with my lack of knowledge *;D
    First of all...welcome. Second...you need to set x up, so at the command prompt you need to type in xf86config. This will take you throught setting up the x-window system. This is the first step in getting your gui. After you have configured everything, you type startx at the command line.

If you want to change window managers (gui's), type in xwmconfig at the command prompt.

You need to read this link first, though. It explains every step of xf86config in detail http://www.slackware.com/book/index....rce=c1364.html.

Above all else, remember this: we are here to help you have fun with your Linux system.

Cheers

Thanks for the help. I can load up the KDE now but the graphics aren't right... I can't see the whole desktop on the screen at once. I have an E70-3 Viewsonic monitor and a Gainward Geforce 3 Ti200 video card.. doesn't seem to matter which resolution I choose when it asks about the monitor; it never fits all on screen even on 640x480! I selected nvidia Geforce for the video card.. any ideas now? Thnx

try "ctrl alt -" (that's a minus) see if that helps. Ctrl alt (+/-) changes the resolution of X (I think ;D)

otherwise X isn't configured right, and we'll see what we can do.

And you have to use the +/- on the keypad, not up by the backspace key...

With slack 8 you can also try xfree86setup, found in /usr/X11R6/bin, I believe.

Good Guru

Thanks for the help. I can load up the KDE now but the graphics aren't right... I can't see the whole desktop on the screen at once. I have an E70-3 Viewsonic monitor and a Gainward Geforce 3 Ti200 video card.. doesn't seem to matter which resolution I choose when it asks about the monitor; it never fits all on screen even on 640x480! I selected nvidia Geforce for the video card.. any ideas now? Thnx
    It seems you have the problem I used to have -- where the screen pans as you move to the edge. I forget the term used fo it at the moment, however, if you post yor /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file I can show you where to make a small modification to remove it.

With slack 8 you can also try xfree86setup, found in */usr/X11R6/bin, I believe.
    Yep thanks this fixed the screen res. Unfortunately I have so many other troubles.. I can't access CD drives or floppy drives, FAT32 partitions (is this possible?), there's no sound... I'd post my XF86Config file but I can't print it out or get it onto a disk... also I can't access the internet with my ADSL router =( So lost... any help would be appreciated. I'm considering trying Mandrake instead; hopefully it's a little easier to set up?

Well, firstly... Slackware is not quite the distro of choice for new commers. Everything in Slack needs to be set up manually by editing .conf files and the like. But thats ok, this is the best way to learn! And Slack is a great distro for it.

For the CD drive: Most of the time, it creates a mount point /cdrom - its quite fine to use this. I personally use /mnt/cdrom that way all my mount points are in the same dir... but thats up to you. You just bring up a console (as root) and type mount /dev/cdrom /cdrom - it should come up saying something like "mount: block device /dev/cdrom is write-protected, mounting read-only" - this is ok, it means it worked. Just cd into /cdrom and browse the cd. If it doesnt work, something like "/dev/cdrom doesnt exist" then we need to create it. (We dont need to, but its good to.) Bring up a console )as root) and type ln -s /dev/cdrom /dev/hdd (change the /dev/hdd to whatever the cd drive lives on your motherboard. For example, if your cd drive is Primary slave, then its hdb; if its Secondary master, then its hdc; if its Secondary slave, then its hdd) Try to mount it again. If it doesnt work, then post back with some errors so we can help you

FAT32 drives are pretty much the same, but you need to know which partition the live on the hard disk. Its usally the first partition of the disk. Create a mount point mkdir /mnt/hdb1 and then mount it mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1 - that should be ok.

As for sound, it really depends on what sound card you have. If you have a SBlive! then you're in luck, as emu10k1 module is built into the kernel as default. Just modprobe emu10k1 and you should get sound. If you want to set sound for other users besdie root, then you need to change permissions to /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer* (chmod 666 /dev/dsp and chmod 666 /dev/mixer*)

For the network, you're in abit of luck, as slackware comes with a simple network tool netconfig. Type this at the console and follow the questions (this includes gateways for net sharing and the like)

Hope I helped...

TTFN,
    ScRapZ_1