Thread: New (Old) Server

New (Old) Server

Hey,
    I just bought a server on ebay with 2 PIII cores, 2 gigs of ram, and somewhere around 40 GB of HD (for dirt cheap), and I want to turn it into a replacement for my linksys 4 port router (and then some). Basically, I want to run firewall, router, dhcp server, and proxy server applications on centos or fedora (havent decided). Is this too much load for this system? Which programs would you recommend for the 4 uses listed above? Also, should I use a distro of centos or fedora, or is there another that works better for servers? I will probably be asking for a LOT more help when I start to set up the server (I'm a linux noob). Thanks in advance for help.
    Last edited by Chuck_Norris; 08-13-2009 at 07:31 AM.

I would recommend either centOS above fedora (easier) or slackware (harder) for this.
    I think a major requirement of this would be the NICs themselves - what do you have?

How much traffic are you expecting to see?
    63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs,
    ya get 1 whacked with a service pack,
    now there's 63,005 bugs in the code!!

Not much, just my home network (a desktop, (soon to be) 2 laptops, xbox 360, NAS, network printer, and a second server).

Gigabit NICs

So, does smoothwall express take care of most of the above uses? I think it will do proxy, firewall, and DHCP...(if I'm not mistaken). Is this the best route to take? Or are there other programs that you would recommend (squid does proxy, I think, maybe more)?

Thanks
    Last edited by Chuck_Norris; 08-14-2009 at 08:19 AM.

I don't have experience with smoothwall, I've only used the individual applications (dhcpd, squid, etc...) since I've worked in the enterprise space where we separate functions out.
    Smoothwall looks pretty cool and it would be nice to have a single place to configure everything.
    63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs,
    ya get 1 whacked with a service pack,
    now there's 63,005 bugs in the code!!

I also recommend using Ubuntu, particularly the server edition. its fast, has most of the software you need right on the default install, and its really easy to update (apt-get ftw). I use it in my house for my home server.

Yea I just might do that...I tried fedora, they dont support my hardware scsi raid card...kinda pissed, but i will probably use ubuntu or centos. Thanks.