Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Hosting Muds Users eating HD and Bandwidth

Thread: Hosting Muds Users eating HD and Bandwidth

Hybrid View

Hosting Muds Users eating HD and Bandwidth

Okay through my goodness I am now hosting 3 full time muds plus my own. (MUD=Multi User Dungeon).

I run RH7.2 on a 41gig HD
    ADSL 384/128 (Yeah I know!)

What I want to do is switch the hosted muds to another 2 gig drive (I just upgraded the wifes winblows machine).

Questions:
    1. How to install a drive that used to be the C: for windows as a second drive.
    2. How do I set disk quotas for the admins of the muds
    3. How do I move their stuff off my 41 gig and onto the 2 gig without screwing everything up.
    4. How do I repoint their user dirs from /dev/hda to /dev/hdb?
    5. How can I limit them to how much bandwidth they get with each port they have?
    6. Final one now. Can this be done without moving my local users (3 of them)?

Thanks for helping me out. Now I have to learn the hard side of Linux ;D

Rastar

Re: Hosting Muds Users eating HD and Bandwidth

Hello,
    1. Format it using rh7.2 filesystem - i.e. ext3 - you will need to fdisk it of course 1st.

2. enable quotas in you kernel - there is a nice how-to here

3. If their stuff does not have relative sym links then it should be no problem, if you plan on keeping it same relatively then i would worry about it even less.

4. in /etc/fstab

5. i don't know - i would look into using firestater to set up ip tables.

6. sure! say the muds are at /home/muds make an entry in /etc/fstab where the mount point is /home/muds and mount the new drive at that point.

Good Guru

Re: Hosting Muds Users eating HD and Bandwidth

1. *How to install a drive that used to be the C: for windows as a second drive.
    Move the jumper to slave position. Put it in the Primary controller interface. It's your HDB to your Linux. Then do as pbharris suggested.

3. *How do I move their stuff off my 41 gig and onto the 2 gig without screwing everything up.
    You can do several ways. Mount the drive you want the data to move. Copy all the data to there. Then edit fstab and mount the partitions to the directory of where you wanted it to. Let's say the data used to be at /home/users/mutt , mount there instead of /mnt. There is no rules saying that you must mount to /mnt although it makes it easier to manage mount points.

4. *How do I repoint their user dirs from /dev/hda to /dev/hdb?
    You mean you want to move /home to HDB? Either edit /etc/passwd to reflect their directory to HDB's mount point or create softlinks there with ln -s /actual/data/folder /old/data/folder .

6. *Final one now. Can this be done without moving my local users (3 of them)?
    Yes. It's all depends on your mount points or create symlinks.

Re:Hosting Muds Users eating HD and Bandwidth

bump

Re:Hosting Muds Users eating HD and Bandwidth

Tell your (l)users that the system will be down for about an hour.
    Put the new drive in, fdisk it and make it one big ext2 partition.
    Format it with mke2fs /dev/hd?1, and then make it ext3 with tune2fs -j /dev/hd?
    Make a directory to mount it on ( /home/muds ), and add an appropriate entry to /etc/fstab to reflect that
    Mount the partition, then copy everything over (this is where the system down time starts)
    Then edit /etc/passwd and change the home dirs for the users you moved to /home/muds/foo
    Check the permissions, make sure it all still belongs to the right person (not root), and you should be good.
    Then setup quotas (howto linked in first message).
    To control bandwidth use, look into QoS .