Thread: Discussion with all linux champions and guru on How fsck works???

Hybrid View

Thumbs up Discussion with all linux champions and guru on How fsck works???

Hi All Linux Guru's and linux lovers and all users who loves to live in linux world.Thanks to all for four great work and contributions for linux
    and thanks to linuxhomenetworking.com for giving us such a wonderful platform.

Well now come to the point as we all know that fsck is used for file system check and for recovering file systems. We also know that if we want to run fsck on root partition then it should be in unmounted stated first (let me correct i am wrong). And we also know that fsck recovers file in steps and its around 5 or 6 steps that fsck uses to recover files.

We all have run fsck many times and uses it but still we most of us are not sure how fsck works. What are the steps that fsck uses to recover to file. How fsck recovers block , inodes.

So i really appreciate if someone explain all the working machinism of fsck. So here i want to discuss with all the linux lovers and experts about this. Please give your valuable advice and give your contribution so there there is no more confusion with working process of fsck.

Thanks a lot in advance...

Advisor
    I see you already have asked this question on Linuxquestions.org, didn't the advices and articles presented there give you an insight to how it works ??
    Don't worry Ma'am. We're university students, - We know what We're doing.
    'Ruiat coelum, fiat voluntas tua.'
    Datalogi - en livsstil; Intet liv, ingen stil.

Hi Redhat,
    Yes you are right i have posted it and i hope i got some good answers and its for discussion and for the help of all linux lovers

Associate
    Quote Originally Posted by vap16oct1984 View Post
    We also know that if we want to run fsck on root partition then it should be in unmounted stated first (let me correct i am wrong).
    Or mounted read-only. The goal is to make sure that filesystem is not being changed by other processes when fsck is running.

And we also know that fsck recovers file in steps and its around 5 or 6 steps that fsck uses to recover files.
    Which file recovery are you referring to? The ones that fsck usually 'stores' in lost+found?

We all have run fsck many times and uses it but still we most of us are not sure how fsck works. What are the steps that fsck uses to recover to file. How fsck recovers block , inodes.
    The most common cases I've seen are when fsck would recover unlinked inodes which have no deleted time set, recover/relocate corrupted superblocks. These usually happens due to HW failures, crashes or rarely kernel bugs.

I am in no means an expert in how fsck (and FS's) work. If you have any specific question or scenario in mind, feel free to ask and I'll try my best
    Ce-GNU-LUG

Well let me discuss few more about fsck
    fsck also reports various informations about the allocation of files and directories, giving a detailed count of the amount of disc space that is wasted due to the way files are stored on it.
    Generally, fsck is run automatically at boot time when the operating system detects that a file system is in an inconsistent state, indicating a non-graceful shutdown, such as a crash or power loss.

but still confused about its working steps.

Hi all ,I m new member in this site so anyone of you add me as friend and inform me also whenevr u read any good article of linux...

Thanks in advance