Thread: fatal error: no screens found

fatal error: no screens found

time and time again i seem to run into this stupid problem.
    running mandrake 8.1. i left it running last night (logged out of X, mind you) everything has been fine for the last week.

today i go to log back in and i get the wonderful error : fatal server error, no screens found."

it tells me screens found but none have a usable configuration. it was working fine. i had the newest nvidia driver up and going. then the next day. phhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

any ideas why this happens and what the fix is? i checked my XF86Config-4 and i can see all looks ok i believe. this is very annoying.

SD

Re: fatal error: no screens found

SD!! How ya doing ? dumb question - i know youm must be horrible w/o X running. Well any chance you can post the errors? also waht has changed since the last X reset/restart ?

hey pablo. whats new? this was the error:
    __________________________________________________ _________
    Fatal server error
    no screens found

XIO: fatal error 104 (connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0" after
    0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining

__________________________________________________ ________

i looked a little further up and noticed X had a problem when it tried to load the NVIDIA kernel module. i installed that again and that fixed the problem which is really cool but i dont know why it just stopped working though. last thing i did was install RTCW, i logged out of X, and left my pc on for a night. next day i logged back in and X wouldnt start. im glad i got it working but im just baffled at why it happened. ???
    take it easy man.

SD

correction. im not horrible out of X, im just plain horrible. hehe

ok, at this point im gonna get grey hair. i booted up mandrake again a few hours later and guess what? same issue. a problem loading the nvidia kernel module so i had to do a make install yet again. what the hell? i wonder if this is a known issue with these drivers.

ok, at this point im gonna get grey hair. i booted up mandrake again a few hours later and guess what? same issue. a problem loading the nvidia kernel module so i had to do a make install yet again. what the hell? i wonder if this is a known issue with these drivers.
    Nothing that I now of... make sure that you have a script or something in /etc/modules.conf that will load the modules...

EG:

alias char-major-195 NVdriver <--- is in my modules.conf

Good Guru

I have the newest nVIDIA driviers on three boxes here at my apartment -- GF1 - DDR, TNT1, and my roomie's GF1 256. The drivers are EXCELLENT and have not caused any problems on my part.

at the bottom of my modules.conf i have this line already there:

alias /dev/nvidia/* NVdriver

does this suffice?

after fishing around someone let me in on what i think KP_BOFH was trying to tell me. this was not my post so i cant take credit:

There's a problem that I found out about today with the newest nVidia drivers. They don't set up /etc/modules.conf correctly. It looks like they expect devfs (if you are running that, which Mandrake 8.1 did, and I assume 8.2 does the same) to put their device entries in their own directory under /dev. They expect user programs, also, to not open /dev/nvidiactl or /dev/nvidia0, but /dev/nvidia/<something>. Well, every piece of software I have opens /dev/nvidiactl, etc., including X, so I had to hack their changes to modules.conf to get it to autoload correctly.
    Open /etc/modules.conf in an editor, and look for where the nVidia drivers added a line, it will look like this:

code:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

alias /dev/nvidia/* NVdriver

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have to either add another two lines (it doesn't matter where), or change that line to read like one of these and add the other:

code:

alias /dev/nvidia[0-3] NVdriver
    alias /dev/nvidiactl NVdriver

Leaving it in there the old way shouldn't harm anything.

Then, save and exit, and still as root, run depmod -a to re-figure-out your module dependencies. They won't have changed, but if you don't do this then modprobe will complain (harmlessly but still annoying) every time you try to insert a module.

Then, still as root, modprobe -r NVdriver, then exit to your normal user and startx. It should work better now, because it can autoload the module now.