Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Server Maintenance

Thread: Server Maintenance

Server Maintenance

Hi all. I have a server running Ubuntu 9.04, and I was wondering if there was anything that I should do for maintenance? Any scripts that should be run, cleaning out logs, etc? I know that fragmentation is not a problem with Linux, but is there something else I should worry about?

I really want my server to last as long as possible, and as fast as possible, so any tips for the new server admin would be great

You just make sure that only required ports are open and only the required service or daemon's are running and not any other. Why you want to clear log's, if the log file size is the issue then fix size for the log file.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

thanks svar. I have been making sure that I am updating the distro as soon as the updates are available. Just a matter of security question now. My web server is actually behind two routers that have hardware firewalls on each. My main modem makes the internet connection, and when it gets a request for my domain, it then forwards it to another router in the house which then in turn routes the request to my ubuntu box. I have no other port forwarding ports set up on either router. Do you think this is sufficient security, or am I actually gonna get pwnt?

I only have port 80 open, so if you try to connect via ssh or ftp for example, it just times out. Your thoughts?

Associate
    With your setup, the most likely attack entry point would be either thru a bug in your router OS or your webserver software. If you keep an eye on those two, you should be fine.
    Ce-GNU-LUG

thanks yannix, much appreciated!