Thread: Damn / is nearly full

Damn / is nearly full

I checked my partitions and to my dismay i found that my / prtition is 91% full, i only made a 220Mb / partition when i installed Libranet.
    My partitions are like this:
    / 220Mb free 18.9Mb
    /usr 1.5Gb free 440Mb
    /home 980Mb free 889Mb
    /boot 15Mb free 10.5Mb.

Is there a way i can increase my / partition without losing data, or am i in for a reinstall.

I have a mandrake distro on another partition, and i am thinking of getting rid of it and just using Libranet.

Cheers
    LiNuts
    BTW: I dont have partition magic or any other partitioning program.

Good Guru

Re: Damn / is nearly full

My partitions are like this:
    / *220Mb * free 18.9Mb
    /usr *1.5Gb *free 440Mb
    /home *980Mb *free 889Mb
    /boot 15Mb *free 10.5Mb.
    I see you don't have /var directory mounted separately... With Debian based distros, the most thing is that apt will try to cache the deb files. Why not take off that /var to someplace else?? Or try to delete your log files in /var/log and deb files in /var/cache/apt/archives .
    Is there a way i can increase my / partition without losing data, or am i in for a reinstall.
    Move a way some other stuff such as /var /tmp or stuff like that so no need to reinstall. In *nix, it doesn't matter how your drive is partitioned as long as they are mounted it right.

i would tar up /home - save it in /usr, then split the home partition - what is taking up so much space in / ? you have /usr as anotther partition 220 MB is alot for that, i would do like compunuts says and clear out /var a bit.

A temporary solution until you re-partition is:
    Code:
    [someone@thehost]$ apt-get clean

Yep!! that did it, I looked in /var/cache/apt/archives and there was 89.6Mb of stuff in there. So i did an rm *.deb and now my /partition is a healthy 48%.
    I had already done the /var/log stuff but hadn't thought about the archives ???
    Thanks for the help ;D
    Cheers
    LiNuts

Good Guru

/var shouldn't be on / partition. If you have another Nimda or stuff scanned your website ( if you have Apache running that's ), you will be filled up pretty quick with those logs from Apache .... and will render your system to crash ( or unresponsive ).

/var shouldn't be on / partition. If you have another Nimda or stuff scanned your website ( if you have Apache running that's ), you will be filled up pretty quick with those logs from Apache .... and will render your system to crash ( or unresponsive ).
    I haven't got my box setup as a server, its just a standalone p.c. , i was thinking about setting it up with Apache, but i will wait until i decide to dump Mandrake, then start from scratch.
    Cheers
    LiNuts