Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Remotely connect to LAN

Thread: Remotely connect to LAN

Remotely connect to LAN

Hello Gals and Guys,

Here is the situation:

I got a LAN at my parent's home setup. I have moved out several months ago but how can I setup a secure connection to the LAN and access firewalled services.

Would this be a VPN? Or what sort of server would I have to setup?

Re:Remotely connect to LAN

You may want to try SSH tunnels

Good Guru

Yeah it can be a vpn.

For that to work you would need

1)A server that runs the VPN server

2)Match that server to some client software (not all servers have a client for the OS of choice, ie, linux wont be able to connect to an OpenBSD vpn)

Good Guru

This month's Linux Journal had a nice piece on VPN and SSH tunnels stuff so it would be good if you can read it. They have online service so may be they have it there ( I'm not sure about either it's free or not).

If you can't find it, LMK. May be I can summarize it for you.

Also check out OpenS/WAN if you wanted. But if it's for yourself, you will be turned off by the work it involved to make it work. For that, it may be easier to look into OpenVPN (no links handy, sorry). Currently it only support one tunnel per port so that it's not very convience if you have more than a few users or a few tunnels use.

Thanks guys for the good advice. Now got to figure out what to use. Freeswan does look like a lot of work.

Mentor

you may want to try and pick up a linksys router/switch with vpn, that might work.

somethine like this:
    http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...amp;pfp=BROWSE

or this
    http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...amp;pfp=BROWSE

Good Guru

[quote author=gmoreno link=board=4;threadid=10115;start=0#msg91693 date=1105000495] Freeswan does look like a lot of work.
    [/quote]
    Only because of IPsec headers stuff in the kernel. If you have 2.6 kernel which natively support those headers, then the work is much less.

If you really have the need, then it will be worth the work.