Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

How install MDK 8.2 on 2nd Hard Drive?

Thread: How install MDK 8.2 on 2nd Hard Drive?

How install MDK 8.2 on 2nd Hard Drive?

Just placed a new, second, larger HD behind my main HD. Using it for backups, etc. Mandrake 8.1 is on the main HD. When the MDK 8.2 CD's arrive in a few days was thinking about installing it (instead) on the larger backup HD but have some questions: 1) Does the order of the HD's, i.e., larger first, smaller second matter? Reason for this question is that I am getting different answers from different people. 2) How do I get MDK 8.2 to actually install it on the 2nd HD - I assume it will automatically pick up on the current MDK 8.1 installation. If I can do this that would then give me time to migrate over certain files. Eventually it would be stripped of MDK 8.1 and used again as a backup and also as a platform to evaluate other Linux distros. Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Good Guru

Re: How install MDK 8.2 on 2nd Hard Drive?

I would have to say that in reality, there is no differecnce other than performance issues. An ATA 100 + an ATA33 will cause both drives to drop to ATA33 speeds if they are on the same IDE channel. But besides that, there will be no other impacts. My reccomendation is to PrimaryMaster the new drive, primary slave the old HD only if your secondary channel is full (DVD and a CDRW).

If the second hard drive is blank, just boot to the 8.2 cd1 and when installing select expert mode and choose to install on the other hardrive. Lilo will pick up and set it all up for ya!

Thanks - that sounds easy enough. Will LILO have trouble with two different systems on two different hard drives? Overlap period will probably be about 2-3 weeks while I "bring" over certain files.
    If the second hard drive is blank, just boot to the 8.2 cd1 and when installing select expert mode and choose to install on the other hardrive. Lilo will pick up and set it all up for ya!

Will LILO have trouble with two different systems on two different hard drives?
    No, lilo will work just fine for two different installs on two different drives.

Just be careful with lilo. When you install the new 'drake, don't install/configure lilo. Then boot to your current install, mount wherever the kernel for the new install is, edit your current install's lilo to point to that as a new boot option, and then run lilo.

And make a boot disk (and test it) before you install on the second drive - just in case....