Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet another question about java & mozilla

Yet another question about java & mozilla

Someday I am going to figure out this java and mozilla! Meanwhile......I created a symlink (Mozilla 0.9.9) to my jre file. When I did it in Netscape 4.x it worked fine, but in Mozilla it gets gibberish in the beginning and will not work, i.e., instead of say Java plugin, etc it is simply a bunch of different characters and does not work. In reading the directions (always after right?) it tells me to not use a symlink (if using Netscape 4.x) but instead to "set the NPX_PLUGIN_PATH=, etc, etc, etc.....But the thing it does not tell me is where I do this from, i.e., do I type in that line in jre or in the Mozilla plugins? Then another related question: how do I get the Flash and RealPlayer plugins in place if symlinks are not used? As usual - thanks for your time and help. ???

Re: Yet another question about java & mozilla

hello,
    anychance ya used the ns4 pluggin instead of the ns600 pluggin? what does this give ya? (change directories as needed of course)

ln -s /usr/java/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Uh, yes I did - because I only have Netscape 4.X - do not have 6.X installed. Will it work if I change it to 6.X?
    hello,
    anychance ya used the ns4 pluggin instead of the ns600 pluggin? what does this give ya? (change directories as needed of course)

ln -s /usr/java/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

hello,
    if you are using mozilla then you are are using ns600 - or at least the guts of ns600. I don;t have ns6.x either but i do use the ns600 pluggin.

Nope tried that and it wouldn't take - just sat there and blinked.
    ------------------
    hello,
    if you are using mozilla then you are are using ns600 - or at least the guts of ns600. I don;t have ns6.x either but i do use the ns600 pluggin.

hum...

what does ls -l /usr/local/mozilla/pluggins/ (or /usr/lib/mozilla/pluggins) give ya?

Says no such file??
    hum...

what does ls -l /usr/local/mozilla/pluggins/ (or /usr/lib/mozilla/pluggins) give ya?

did ya install rpms or the tarball i.e. do you know where mozilla is and its pluggin directory? sorry if this seems like a dumb question.

Installed by RPM (works fine - best of the Mozilla's - in fact I usually have trouble with Mozilla and use Galeon instead. This time Galeon won't install and the Mozilla works great). Yes, know where it is. Added Flash and Real Player to the plugin directory and they work fine. Only one I cannot get going is Java. It loads but the beginning of it (when Help, Plugin is checked) is just gibberish. Went to the java.sun.com site and it did not work.
    --------------
    did ya install rpms or the tarball i.e. do you know where mozilla is and its pluggin directory? sorry if this seems like a dumb question.

argg...

what does ls -l /usr/lib/mozilla/pluggins/ give?