Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Cox/dhcp problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cox/dhcp problem

Associate

Cox/dhcp problem

I'm getting really frustrated with cox. My linux box just refuses to get a ip addy from cox. They're using DHCP according to them. Using a pertty much standard Red Hat 7.2 install. Is there something that I need ot do to get it running right? I'm not even sure which card is connected to the outside world, since the thing has 2 network cards. (yes, they're both running dhcp) (was a router for a few other computers until a while ago, just recently got around to re-installing linux) Anyone else have any luck?

Re: Cox/dhcp problem

When I had Cox internet (on win2k), I had to change my computer name to the name they assigned it. I think that is how they identify your computer for their service. I didn't run Linux at the time, nor do I understand cable internet enough to explain it any better. Maybe someone else could tell you how to assign the name in Linux. Changing the name was all that was necessary for me to get their service to work in win2k. Good Luck!

Also, check dslreports cox forum (http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cable,ath), there are some pretty nice folks over there as well.

Good Guru

I have AT&T Internet though DHCP and it all worked.

To change your box name, edit /etc/hostname to the name you are assigned.

And dude, if you don't even know which Interface is connected to the Cable modem, how do you expect us to know?? :

Took out one cable, reboot or "ifdown" the card, then "ifup" it. Try it with both to see which one is outside interface. Change all the necessary information for your external interface to get it working .... Other than that, we can't help you much if you didn't say what you did and what you tried and what isn't working ....

Associate

>When I had Cox internet (on win2k), I had to change my computer name to the name they assigned it

Well... that was the old @home, not the "new" cox network. You don't need custom computer names anymore.

As for the other, i've got them both set for dhcp configuration. As for what I've tried. Turning the machine on, rebooting a coupla times, not much I can think of to try, as i'm still kinda new to linux.

Good Guru

Well... that was the old @home, not the "new" cox network. You don't need custom computer names anymore.
    So I'm just kind of curious... How do they know you are legitimate user of Cox?? What is preventing for me to hook into their network with one modem and riding free Internet?? There must be some way to varify you though ......

I'm on AT&T network so I may have different stuff but as far as my AT&T connection is concerned, I still need my hostname to get connected to the AT&T Broadband.

As for the other, i've got them both set for dhcp configuration.
    Yeah but you still need the right cable plugged into the modem though. Without the physical connection, there is nothing the software can do for you.
    As to trying to see if it's working, you need to set it up right with Linux so that you can try plugging different cable to the port and see which one is outside and which one is inside.

As for what I've tried. Turning the machine on, rebooting a coupla times, not much I can think of to try, as i'm still kinda new to linux.
    New to Linux is fine with us. That's why this site is called Linuxjunior rather than linux-l33t. We are here to help people start up with Linux and progress.
    What we need is more info from you and what you did and what you didn't do and suggest what steps you can try..... Since I can't see your computer and don't know your set up, there is nothing much we can help you with. So, give us more info and we may be able to solve it ....

So here is first question, how do Cox network identify you?? Via host name or via NIC card physical address??

Associate

So here is first question, how do Cox network identify you?? Via host name or via NIC card physical address??
    No clue, probably ID's the number of active addreses coming from one cable modem.
    I've finally deteremed that the computer does in fact send the DHCP requests out. Saw the light blink on the hub, and ran ethreal when it was asking for the addy and saw the requests, never got a answer of course. I'm farily sure that those are the requests for my comp, as they're the only ones coming from what shoes up as ip address 0.0.0.0 in ethreal.
    I've got to get a crossover cable later today so I can verify that it can get a address.

Good Guru

No clue, probably ID's the number of active addreses coming from one cable modem.
    To be honest with you, still doesn't solve the question. If they are doing this way, then they are doing a big security mistake. Others can easily log in without paying it.
    To my experience, I've never heard of that kind of company.

I've finally deteremed that the computer does in fact send the DHCP requests out. Saw the light blink on the hub, and ran ethreal when it was asking for the addy and saw the requests, never got a answer of course.
    If you set the computer to have DHCP. it will send out the request anyway it could ( of course ) but it will not get answer if it has no authorative answering server. DHCP doesn't check for whether it's in its subnet or not. That's not its job.
    I'm farily sure that those are the requests for my comp, as they're the only ones coming from what shoes up as ip address 0.0.0.0 in ethreal.
    Yeah, those are the request packets. It doens't know its own IP address and that's why it fill in with zeros in Ethernet packets.

P.S --> May be you should ask Cox techsupport people how they do the authentication. They are suppose to tell you that no matter what OS you are using. Just tell them that you wanted to make sure you understand what you are getting into.

Associate

More Clarification. Dhcp does work, it will get a address from a diffrent computer, just not from cox. Will try calling cox and see if they'll help at all (really doubtful, but you never know)

Good Guru

More Clarification. Dhcp does work, it will get a address from a diffrent computer, just not from cox.
    That's my point... You just need some more info .....

Will try calling cox and see if they'll help at all (really doubtful, but you never know)
    Try to ask them how you are identified to their network. Is it via hostname? Is it via MAC address of your NIC card? HOW??

So I'm just kind of curious... How do they know you are legitimate user of Cox?? What is preventing for me to hook into their network with one modem and riding free Internet?? There must be some way to varify you though ......
    Most likely from the cable modems' MAC address and other "authorise" protocols between the modem and head-in(yes, cable modems do have MAC addresses).

Back to the original question:

Are you trying to pull more than one IP address through your cable modem? Example: You have two or more computers connected to a hub/switch and the hub/switch is connected to the cable modem. If this is true, this is your problem. You can only have one "public" IP from Cox(and many more broadband ISPs'). You need to setup ICS on Windows 98SE and above or IPMASQ on linux to share your internet connection.

It's possible you are getting RF interference on your cable line. It may work for one operating system but others might not work properly. It has something to do with the size of the MTU. Having a large MTU will give you faster D/L speeds but make your connection less reliable and more inclined to loose packets. I don't know how to set this in linux.(may require kernel re-compile).