Thread: PPPoE

PPPoE

I recently changed to Red Hat (testing Skipjack) and I have been having kind of a weird issue. I have an aDSL connection. So the first time I set it up, either using the aDSL connection manager Red Hat brings, or using Roaring Penguin, I get a connection, no problem. But after I reboot my machine, I try again, and it won't connect ever. I have reisntalled RH a couple of times and it always does the same thing.
    Any ideas?
    Where would the files that hold that configuration be? Maybe I can trake a look at them and see if there is something screwy.

Re: PPPoE

hello,
    are you using teh roaring penquin setup or redhats? I would try roaring penquin's - also how is it started (e.g. in a runlevel...)

hello,
    are you using teh roaring penquin setup or redhats? *I would try roaring penquin's - also how is it started (e.g. in a runlevel...)
    I tried botth of them. *Seems that the first time, it connects with no problem, but after reboot, it won't go through.
    I found this in Buzilla, regarding SkipJack:
    Description of problem:
    Configuring an ethernet device using redhat-config-network and selecting 'dhcp'
    puts
    a line 'PEERDNS=no' into the corresponding
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
    file. This is especially bad, since it stops pump (or dhcpcd) from generating a
    new
    /etc/resolv.conf file based on the information received from the DHCP server.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
    redhat-config-network-0.9.21-1

How reproducible:
    Always

Steps to Reproduce:
    1.Start redhat-config-network
    2.Configure ethernet device using dhcp
    3.Save changes

Actual Results: *The generated file contains named line, while it shouldn't.

Expected Results: *No such line should be generated, at least not until the user
    is able to choose himself, if /etc/resolv.conf should be generated or not, ie.
    if
    PEERDNS=no|yes should be emitted.

Additional info:

This is bad for mostly laptop users who are connecting to different DHCP
    servers.
    While the first boot after an installation will most likely succeed, any further
    attempt
    using a *different* DHCP server will fail, because it's unlikely that the
    nameserver,
    whose address had been emitted into /etc/resolv.conf during the first boot, is
    still
    accessible.
    However, I tried putting a # in front of the line, and changing it to yes, and it didn't worked. :'(

For PPPoE you don't need to configure your NIC facing internet for DHCP, I'd suggest getting roaring penguin software from http://www.roaringpenguin.com and install it as root, after unpacking the tarball run ./go-gui for graphical configuration. You'll need your username and pass, DNS is optional, network device (eth0, eth1 etc).
    Good luck.

either using the aDSL connection manager Red Hat brings, or using Roaring Penguin, I get *a connection, no problem. *But after I reboot my machine, I try again, and it won't connect ever.

Mentor

what command are you using to connect the with dsl??
    is it configured to connect at start up or do you have to start it manually when the pc is up?

I personally start it up myself, with the command adsl-start and to stop it adsl-stop. ( i'm using roaring penguin package).

please let me know it think that has alot to do with it.

what command are you *using to connect the with dsl??
    is it configured to connect at start up or do you have to start it manually when the pc is up?

I personally start it up myself, with the command adsl-start and to stop it adsl-stop. ( i'm using roaring penguin package).

please let me know it think that has alot to do with it. *
    I do it manually. If I use Roaring Penguin, I go (inside XWindows) and select tk-rp-pppoe. If I am using the Red Hat connection, I go to the Internet Connection Handling or whatever it is called, select my DSL connection and click "Activate". I tried to do it once with adsl-start, but in all three instances, I get a time-out error. and it is kind of weird, because, after the Red Hat install, the first time I make the connection, it goes fine. After reboot, all I get is timeouts.

Ok, I finally realized that there is something in the RedHat network configuration tool that is what is keeping me from connecting. I just did a clean install, loaded Roaring Penguin without touching the RedHat network stuff, and it works great. I hope they get this resolved soon.