Thread: Snag viewing hompage from outside LAN

Snag viewing hompage from outside LAN

:? I'm running a home network with a dlink dsl router set to forward port 80 requests of my outside static IP to the inside IP of the linux/apache machine. I'm running Fedora Core 1 Apache 2.0.47. I'm new to linux so am not sure whether my problem is permissions, network, or apache config.

I can view the homepage from anywhere inside my LAN by typing the inside IP 192.168..... in any browser, but cannot access it using the outside IP 209.221...... The router works fine when I forward port 80 to other webserves on my LAN so I feel it is set up right.

Can someone help me troubleshoot this?

Administrator Moderator
    Hello,

Are you running any firewall software on the webserver? iptables is activated by default. You may want to shut it off just for testing purposes.

Also, are you running TCP wrappers, in other words, do you have entries in your /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny file? Try commenting out any you may have and try testing.

One more thing do you have access controls for your website in your httpd.conf file, limiting access to only to the 192.168.x.x network?

Thanks Starfish! All good suggestions. I did finally get it working - turned out to be a router snag of all things. But your ideas helped me learn what 's going on... I'll need to look at those things when I start setting up the virtual hosts and experimenting.

It should now show up here: http://www.scripterscafe.com

Thanks again for stepping in to help. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions soon...