Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

LFS Ideas
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LFS Ideas

LFS Ideas

Tomorrow im going to rebuild my LFS system, im thinking on building it this way.

devfs
    gcc3.0.4
    Xfree86 4.2

Any ideas?.
    Is devfs any good or do i have to go with the standard dev dir?
    alsa or oss?
    daemontools or xnietd?
    Any optimization help for an athlon 1.2?
    any other ideas are wellcome.
    TIA

Re: LFS Ideas

Gcc3 will pretty much break half your stuff. LC tried it, and it failed... big time.

I'm running xfree86 4.2 with no troubles at all, so definitely go for that.

As for alsa/oss, I've used OSS since day one and have no troubles with it, either. It works perfectly on my SBLive!

I'm running xfree86 4.2 with no troubles at all, so definitely go for that.

As for alsa/oss, I've used OSS since day one and have no troubles with it, either. It works perfectly on my SBLive!
    With the sb live, you should be using the kernel module for emu10k1, anything past kernel 2.4.10 or so uses Creative code for the driver, and you can get the emu-tools setup from the creative sourceforge site. This will give you awesome sound, and allow for bass/treble on your mixer.

Wait till monday when GCC 3.1 will be out.

I did LFS on GCC3.0.4 and there are some thing you should know, but if you are set on doing it.. by all means drop me a line.

It works, but it doesn't work optimally, because lots of stuff isn't GCC3 ready.

Run the -jp9 kernel which has ALSA in it per default, that's what lovey does. and it works perfectly.

i agree with lovechild... if u really want gcc3 then wait till 3.1 is out

gcc 3.0.4 works pretty good now, but still not good enough to put on a system where everything has to be compiled.

Wait till monday when GCC 3.1 will be out.

I did LFS on GCC3.0.4 and there are some thing you should know, but if you are set on doing it.. by all means drop me a line.

It works, but it doesn't work optimally, because lots of stuff isn't GCC3 ready.

Run the -jp9 kernel which has ALSA in it per default, that's what lovey does. and it works perfectly.
    why is going to be better GCC3.1 than GCC3.0.4 for LFS??
    If lot of stuff isnt GCC3 readyim going to have the same problems with GCC3.1 or im wrong??
    what stuff in LFS base system isnt GCC3 ready??

TIA

why is going to be better GCC3.1 than GCC3.0.4 for LFS??
    because gcc 3.1 is more stable and mature than gcc 3.0.4
    just like gcc 2.95 is better than say... gcc 2.7

If lot of stuff isnt GCC3 readyim going to have the same problems with GCC3.1 or im wrong??
    no, because gcc 3.1 will have less problems with certain software packages than gcc 3.0.4
    gcc 3.1 will probably still give u problems though
    if u don't want any problems, stick with 2.95.3

what stuff in LFS base system isnt GCC3 ready??
    right now only ncurses, but there is a patch. it's not really the base system that'll cause problems with gcc3, it's the software ur gonna install afterwards.

gcc 3.1's release date just got pushed back till May 1st

gcc 3.1's release date just got pushed back till May 1st
    Oh you read that mail to... damn