Thread: modem/sound conflict

modem/sound conflict

Hi

I've got a niggling problem that occurs when I use my modem (connexant based hsf winmodem) and sound (Trident 4Dwave) together - I get wierd noises coming through the speakers.
    The irq's seem to be fine. They use separate io and mem space. I can't tell which dma's are being used (/proc/dma just has "4: cascade&quot. I wouldn't think the winmodem uses dma, but I guess anything is possible.
    Any ideas? ???

Re: modem/sound conflict

hello,
    my first guess is that is cross tlak on the wires or something like that, i.e. not software caused. what kind of noises?

Thanks for the reply

The sound is built on to the motherboard, the modem is a pci card - I guess I could try it in another slot.
    The noises are a bit hard to describe - every now and then I get a quick burst of high pitched beeps.

I have never noticed the problem in windows. It could be the Linux driver that is suspect - the driver code originates from a specific maker of connexant based modems (ie not mine). However, I have no idea what mechanism could be at work for the driver to cause this problem.

The best solution would be not to use a winmodem in the first place. I did have a decent external modem - I sent it back to the manufacturer for repair shortly before they filed for bankrupcty. I don't think I am going to see it again

hummss if it is not in windows i would guess a driver issue too. do you know if teh are sharing IOs at all?

Hey guys,
    I have a high pitched screech both in windows and slackware since I switched to non-plug and play in win and got a semi connect in slack - not showing any conflicts under win devices here either. *What is cross talk. *Hav PCI yamaha snd crd and ISA Creative Modem Blaster Flash II 56. I have a microphone on there, do u? Think its the microphone when it is turned to too high volume.

Me, I have no microphone. Also my modem is a "win" modem (a fairly minimal software controlled modem), best avoided at all costs
    I took cross talk to mean transference of a signal from one circuit to another through induction (albeit a much weaker signal). Somebody correct me if I'm wrong?

Having said that, i still have about as much of a clue as to what is causing your problem as mine ???

i don't know