Thread: Installed software doesn't respond

Unhappy Installed software doesn't respond

After successfully (?) downloading and installing a piece of software, when I click on its executable icon in the normal way I find that absolutely nothing happens. All the files seem to be there OK, and other software packages run OK. I have looked for user restrictions but can find none. There is no response and no popup window to point me to the problem. What might be wrong? If I do the full re-install is it likely to make any difference, and will it just overwrite what's already there??

Is it a .tar, .tgz or .gz file? I think clicking on those will just extract the files. You may have to do an installation from the command line.

RPM and DEB packages should work as expected.

Quote Originally Posted by kupertini View Post
    Is it a .tar, .tgz or .gz file? I think clicking on those will just extract the files. You may have to do an installation from the command line.

RPM and DEB packages should work as expected.
    I unpacked the tar.gz, went to the right directory using Command Line input and went through the whole process including Install and Make Install. The Icon I'm referring to is the "gearwheel" icon of the executable which resulted from the installation process.

Not sure. Were there any compilation errors? What happens when you run the executable from the command line? Do errors appear? Is there anything in the /var/logs/messages file?

Quote Originally Posted by kupertini View Post
    Not sure. Were there any compilation errors? What happens when you run the executable from the command line? Do errors appear? Is there anything in the /var/logs/messages file?

Thanks for the tip. I tried running from a command line and got the message:-

external error: no graphics interface; please check compiling instructions

so I guess I must do that first. If I have missed something, will I have to start from square one again with installing??

I got nowhere with the message file, as apparently I do not have permission to access it.

To look at the messages file, you either need to be logged in as user "root", or use the sudo command. The dmesg command may reveal stuff too.