(Transferred from the wiki by Peter)
The goal of this tutorial is to do a step-by-step installation of Xine, and configure it to allow DVD playback.
What you will need:
LibDVDCSS (Optional, but quite useful.) For this PET, the current version is libdvdcss-1.2.6
Xine-Lib and some Xine front-end. I used Xine-UI because it worked right-away. For this PET, the current versions are xine-lib-1-beta12 and xine-ui-0.9.21
Download and extract the tarball. Change directory to the folder you just extracted, and Configure it.
Then compile it by typing make, and install it as root
Installing Xine Libraries
su -c "make install".
1.Download and extract the tarball. Change directory to the folder you just extracted, and Configure it with
2.With a text editor, make sure your /etc/ld.so.conf contains /usr/local/lib. Then, run
./configure, then install it su -c make install.
1. Unpack your frontend , then run
Check access to your DVD player
./configure and make install.
1. Check to see if /dev/dvd exists. If it does not, make a symbolic link to it from your dcd player
(assuming your dvd player is on /dev/hdc.) Next, make sure your user account can access both /dev/hdc and /dev/dvd. ls -la will list all the permissions.
su -c "ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/dvd"
2. If your user account does not have permissions, there are two ways to deal with it:
quick and dirty
slow and efficient
su -c "chmod 755 /dev/hdc /dev/dvd"
- Make a group called media. su -c "groupadd media"
- Make sure your optical devices belong to that group. su -c "chgrp media /dev/hdc /dev/dvd"
- Then make sure the owner and the group can read and write those devices, and no-one else. su -c "chmod 660 /dev/hdc /dev/dvd"
- Add your user account to the media group. su -c "adduser yourusername media"
You should be all set now. From the command line, type xine-check, This should check your configuration. If you don't get any errors, you should be good to go.
Linux Sound Permissions
Configuring and administering Linux