by pbharris
(Transferred from the wiki by Peter)

Originally posted by SpookyEddy and jkrohn at www.techimo.com and kindly given permision to print here.

Well your main option for games in WineX. This can be downloaded in .rpm format for only $5 from www.transgaming.com or for free by CVS. If you opt for CVS you don't get support and it is sometimes buggy, but it works : If you go for transgaming it is $5 a month (no minimum time) and you can download the .rpm.

Here is a great step-by-step of installing via CVS by SpookyEddy

Okay I got WineX to install from CVS (free & legal). However I am having problems running it due to conflicts with an older install. To fix that a quick
Code:
rm -rf ~/.wine and a rm -rf ~/.transgaming

Step one:

Create a directory to put the code in using
Code:
mkdir wine
Step two:

Download the WineX code via CVS.
First use
Code:
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.winex.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/winex login
Next hit enter when prompted for password.
Now use
Code:
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.winex.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/winex co wine
This should start the download.
You will see lots of file names start to scroll down your terminal. This took about 1 hour on my 56K line.

Step three:

Change to the newly created wine directory with
Code:
cd wine
Step four:

Compile the code with
Code:
./tools/wineinstall
Step five:

You will be asked if you would like to create a local config file, say yes.

Step six:

If you are not running windows on the same disk you will be asked if you would like to continue with a wine only installation, say yes.

Step seven:

Next you will be told that some fake windows directories must be created & asked where you would like to put them. I suggest using "/c".

Step eight:

Now the install should be complete however you may need to add wine to your path if you don't want to change to "/usr/local/bin" every time you want to run wine.

Step nine:

Edit "/root/.wine/config" and make sure that all your dives are mapped to the correct location, eg
Code:
/mnt/cdrom
You then run programs using wine program (say for Half-Life you could use wine hl.exe or to install a program wine /mnt/cdrom/setup.exe)

For anyone running an NVIDIA Card. I suggest that you go and download and install the drivers from NVIDIA's website. This will give WineX a great boost : The drivers can be found at http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=linux All you have to do is download the right ones and compile.