by Coltrane

(Transferred from Wiki by Peter)

I have learned several things during my 3 year relationship with Linux :

1. Its a lot more stable than Windows.
  2. <opinion>SUSE is the mother of all distros </opinion>
  3. No matter what GUI application exist, nothing is more efficient than good ole CLI

In the time it takes for you to download, install, and setup ECLiPt Roaster icewalkers.com, or in the time wasted in dealing with KOnCd crashing, you can burn an ISO to cd.

Lets dance

First thing you want to do is grab the ISO. The best (to be honest, the ONLY) place I know to retrieve ISOs is a little site called LinuxISO.org:Fresh ISOs, just like Moms used to burn. Linuxiso.org. Granted you can retrieve ISOs from the ftp servers of the major Linux distros, but I can never get a connection, and since the world revolves around my problems...
For this instructional scenario we will download and install Slackware9. Select the Slackware logo, which links to the LinuxISO Slackware page. Select the image of the folder and CD (view mirrors...the download iso image link is such a waste of time), and you will receive a listing of mirrors that have the Slackware ISO.
We'll select the kpn.be ftp server because my connection to this server was absolutely beastial yesterday.
Geeks and Nerds, start your CLI.....open Eterm (or whatever your fancy).
Lets create a temp directory to store the iso:
Code:
coltrane:/tmp# mkdir slackware_iso; cd slackware_iso
And then download the iso:
Code:
coltrane:/tmp/slackware_iso# wget \
ftp://ftp.kpn.be/pub/linux/slackware....0-install.iso
In a few minutes (or hours, depending on your connection), you will have a fresh ISO to burn. But first :
Code:
coltrane:/tmp/slackware_iso# md5sum slackware-9.0-install.iso
Note: MD5 is a string of characters (128 bit) that identify the file. You can use this once you download the actual file to test for accuracy during download. This helps to protect you and your box by making sure you are getting what you are supposed to. The MD5SUM is located on the same page with the folder and CD link

rnd_linuxuser writes: "But Coltrane you sexy beast, I want to create my OWN ISO !!"

Not a problem:

Code:
coltrane:/tmp/slackware_iso# mkisofs -frvJL -o \
/tmp/slackware_iso/slackware.iso /temp/mydirectory/
(In this example, the disk image is written out to /tmp/slackware_iso/slackware.iso and the input is read from the /temp/mydirectory/ directory.)

Lets make sure the iso isnt too large, or that we wont have any issues burning to your CD:
Code:
coltrane:/tmp/slackware_iso# mount -o loop -t iso9660 \ 
slackware-9.0-install.iso /mnt/cdrom1
If nothing happens (which is a good thing), then
Code:
coltrane:/tmp/slackware_iso# umount /mnt/cdrom1
Now we need to determine the device ID of your cd burner.
Code:
coltrane:/tmp/slackware_iso# cdrecord -scanbus
Put a blank CD-R in the CD Burner, if you haven't already....its time to burn.
Code:
coltrane:/tmp/slackware_iso# cdrecord -v -data -eject speed=8 dev=0,0,0 \
slackware-9.0-install.iso
Speed depending on the write speed of your cdwriter, and dev depending on the output of your cdrecord -scanbus command.
Watch it burn !
Your Windows-User friends are wondering why that bright light is coming from your window, NORAD is trying to figure out why there's a constant blink on their screen, Bill Gates just frowned for no reason.
At this point, you should have a fresh Slackware CD.

Now lets clean up
Code:
coltrane:/tmp/slackware_iso# rm *.iso; cd /tmp; rmdir slackware_iso
class dismissed.