by stryder144
(Transferred from Wiki by Peter)

Introduction

I finally got around to mucking about in the internals of Slackware 9.1. So, now I finally have my wireless M$ mouse working. I used a stock bare.i Slackware 9.1 install for this, so there is nothing fancy. Here is what you can do to get your usb connected wireless mouse working:

Step 1

Fire up your favorite text editor (in this case, pico) at the command line and type the following: pico /etc/rc.d/rc.modules. Scroll down until you find the following section: USB device support. Find the /sbin/modprobe hid line and uncomment it (delete the #). Save your work (if you use pico, then hit control-x, y, then enter).

Step 2

Next, you will need to edit your XF86Config file. To do so, simply fire up the text editor you used in the last section and point it to /etc/X11/XF86Config. Scroll down to the mouse section, which should look vaguely like this:

Code:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse1"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice" <--This is where Slack will find the mouse.
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" <--This is used for the scroll wheel.
Step 3

Now, reboot the computer and enjoy.

Cheers