Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Grub does not like me >:|

Thread: Grub does not like me >:|

Grub does not like me >:|

I just repartitioned my computer. *I installed first WXP. It worked fine. *Then I installed Lycoris. *Worked fine, though it had an ugly Grub frontend. *Then I installed RedHat. *It installed a pretty version of Grub. *However, it didn't made an entry for Lycorice. *Hum.... *So I took upon myself to copy the entry on the /etc/grub.conf on the Lycoris partition, and copied it into the one in the Red Hat Partition. *Something went wrong.
    Now, when my system boots up, none of my linux installations boot. *It does not display the image of the background either. *When I try the entry of Red Hat, I get this message: "Error 19: Linux Kernel must be loaded before initrd." When I select Lycoris, it just blinks and returns me to the boot menu.
    I can use a rescue disk to boot into Red Hat, but no matter what changes I make into the grub.conf, it won't boot. *Here is some info on my system:
    hda1=Windows
    hda2=Lycoris
    hda3=swap
    hda4=Red Hat
    hdb1=vfat partition
    There is no separate /boot partition. *Lycoris is running kernel 2.4.17, and RedHat 2.4.18. *I am using Grub 0.91. I can't post my grub.conf, because I can't find anyway to copy it over to windows (I can't mount the floppy or the shared partition to copy the file over...)
    Any idea on what's going on, or what my grub.conf file should look like? *What partition should host the grub.conf file?
    help?
    please? :'(

Re: Grub does not like me >:|

here is my grub.conf file which works with MS win95 and RH 7.2:
    Code:
    # grub.conf generated by anaconda
    #
    # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
    # NOTICE: You do not have a /boot partition. This means that
    #     all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
    #     root (hd1,0)
    #     kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hdb1
    #     initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
    #
    #splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    #boot=/dev/hda
    default=0
    timeout=10
    splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    password --md5 lookoutdude
    title linux 2.4.17
        root (hd1,0)
        kernel /boot2417/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hdb1 hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi ide0=ata66 ide1=ata66 mem=nopentium 
        initrd /boot2417/initrd-2.4.17.img
    title linux 2.4.16
        root (hd1,0)
        kernel /boot2416/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hdb1 hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi ide0=ata66 ide1=ata66 mem=nopentium 
        initrd /boot2416/initrd-2.4.16.img
    title Red Hat Linux (2.4.7-10)
        root (hd1,0)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.7-10 ro root=/dev/hdb1 hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi ide0=ata66 ide1=ata66 mem=nopentium 
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.7-10.img
    title win
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        chainloader +1

here is my grub.conf file which works with MS win95 and RH 7.2:
    Code:
    # grub.conf generated by anaconda
    #
    # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
    # NOTICE: *You do not have a /boot partition. *This means that
    # * * * * *all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
    # * * * * *root (hd1,0)
    # * * * * *kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hdb1
    # * * * * *initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
    #
    #splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    #boot=/dev/hda
    default=0
    timeout=10
    splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    password --md5 lookoutdude
    title linux 2.4.17
     * * * *root (hd1,0)
     * * * *kernel /boot2417/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hdb1 hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi ide0=ata66 *ide1=ata66 mem=nopentium 
     * * * *initrd /boot2417/initrd-2.4.17.img
    title linux 2.4.16
     * * * *root (hd1,0)
     * * * *kernel /boot2416/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hdb1 hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi ide0=ata66 *ide1=ata66 mem=nopentium 
     * * * *initrd /boot2416/initrd-2.4.16.img
    title Red Hat Linux (2.4.7-10)
     * * * *root (hd1,0)
     * * * *kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.7-10 ro root=/dev/hdb1 hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi ide0=ata66 *ide1=ata66 mem=nopentium 
     * * * *initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.7-10.img
    title win
     * * * *rootnoverify (hd0,0)
     * * * *chainloader +1

On what partition should I load the grub.conf?

hello,
    i think you can have grub.conf beanywhere, mine is on /dev/hdb1. the bootloader is in the mbr of hda
    oh yea - this is one of the shorter grub docs i have seen:
    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...e/ch-grub.html

Good Guru

grub.conf actually should be in "/etc" and just remember to run "/sbin/grub or /sbin/grub-install" to install it at boot drive's MBR.

grub.conf actually should be in "/etc" and just remember to run "/sbin/grub or /sbin/grub-install" to install it at boot drive's MBR.
    But, since I have two linux distributions in two different partitions, on which partition should i put it?

Good Guru

Which ever the one you like most. And just make sure you re-run GURB to write it on MBR.

my grub.conf is in /boot/grub - i did not know it mattered...

Good Guru

The one in /boot/grub/grub.conf is the real one. The one in /etc is the symlink one. But depending on the grub's entry, the root partition got loaded first so if you put it in there, you should do fine.