Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Cannot ping ubuntu machine

Thread: Cannot ping ubuntu machine

Cannot ping ubuntu machine

I setup a PC with ubuntu and dansguardian to act as a router and a content filter. This PC has two network interfaces, one connecting it to the modem (straight UTP cable) and the other directly to another PC with a cross over cable. More or less like this:

MODEM - DHCP enabled
    |
    |
    SERVER eth0 - Obtains IP from modem
    SERVER eth1 - 192.168.0.1
    |
    |
    CLIENT - 192.168.0.2

SERVER - Ubuntu 8.04
    CLIENT - Windows XP SP2 with firewall turned OFF

From the server I can ping to the client without problems, but I cannot ping from the client to the server ie: I cannot get dansguardian to work.

My question is simple. What might be preventing the client to ping the server??? As far as I know there is no firewall set on ubuntu...

Please help..

Thanks!!

It could be because you have the ubuntu iptables firewall on. What's the output from this command give?

Code:
    /etc/init.d/iptables status
    Have you tried ping with dansguardian turned off?

administrator@server:~$ /etc/init.d/iptables status
    bash: /etc/init.d/iptables: No such file or directory
    administrator@server:~$ su
    Password:
    root@server:/home/administrator# /etc/init.d/iptables status
    bash: /etc/init.d/iptables: No such file or directory
    root@server:/home/administrator#

Its giving nothing...

Ok solved the ping problem by entering this command:

sudo /etc/init.d/firehol stop

I know its not a good solution at all as I have disabled firehol from running. Is there a way how I can set exceptions??

I'm not familiar with Firehol, but you'll need to make it allow the following through:
    • ICMP ping (echo), ICMP ping (echo-reply)
    • HTTP (www)
    • HTTPS (SSL)
    • DHCP? (optional) For allowing your laptop to get an IP address from the server automatically, unless you have assigned one permanently to the laptop.
    On a wired home network the risk of intrusions is relatively low, especially if the linux server is just being used to relay traffic to your laptop.

You could also configure your Linux system to NAT the IP address of the laptop to match that of the eth0 interface. This would improve the chances of your router accepting traffic from your laptop and successfully providing it with access to the Internet.

Associate
    Live in Fayetteville, PA and work in Washington, DC.

Make it a GATEWAY.

Your useing the system as a gateway, why not load one of the multifunctional gateway packages like mwall, softwall or ebox-platform on there?

I am in the process of moving to ebox-platform after a few months of research. check it out. loads very easy on ubuntu 8.04....
    www .ebox-platform . com
    www .vyatta . com
    www .xorp . org
    www .myopenrouter . com

-jeff