Thread: Multiple NICs on ubuntu 8.10

Multiple NICs on ubuntu 8.10

Multiple NICs on ubuntu 8.10

Hi all,

I just installed Ubuntu 8.10 on a PC having 4 NICs. The integrated one is working OK but when I connect the UTP to the rest (which are all PCI) there is no activity as if they were disabled or not working. I confirmed that they all work as before it had XP installed and I could work with all.

How can I get the rest of the NICs to work? is there a way how I can enable them?

Thanks!

You may have to activate the NICs individually using ifconfig, or the card may not be supported.

Quote Originally Posted by jungleist View Post
    You may have to activate the NICs individually using ifconfig, or the card may not be supported.
    This does not work if the Network Manager is installed. Some have suggested to un-install that Network Manager.

There is an URL about that but the system does not allow me to post it directly. Just google for sujet-979-having-a-static-ip-address-under-ubuntu-8-10 .
    Quoted from another posting:
    The Network Manager actually has some support for static IP settings already, but the distro specific backend has to support it. Fedora, SUSE, and Debian support it. But Ubuntu decided to make NM ignore _any_ interface that you have already configured in /etc/network/interfaces. Therefore, to NM that interface doesn't exist, and you'll get the behavior your see.
    I hate to say this, but it become more and more obvious, that the ubuntu family is really a hopeless piece of sh*t. It is time to move on (or back to Debian).

Last edited by rms46; 12-20-2008 at 04:52 AM.