Thread: Hello from a newbie and home server question

Hello from a newbie and home server question

I am thinking of setting up a home server and am not sure where to start.

I have been reading a lot of stuff, and think I can do what I want, just am not sure what is the least painful way to get it done. I want a way to restrict my kids internet/web access, have a file/print server (share music with family), and maybe a mail server if I get squirrley. I am not computer stupid, but am not a whiz either. Am I biting off more than I can chew?

I plan to use an old pent 1.3 ghz machine with a couple of drives in it. Other than that I have two vista machines and a xp laptop.

I am not afraid to read or learn, I just need someone to point me in the right direction.
    Last edited by foodog2; 11-11-2008 at 11:53 PM. Reason: typo

I'd start with setting up your Linux server as a file server for your home PCs. It is a relatively quick and easy thing to do.

Wireless Linux can be tricky, especially with Fedora and ndiswrappers. So if you can, try to keep your Linux server wired, possibly into your home router. This site has a HOWTO for ndiswrapper, but you can also try this link http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=29659

The next thing I'd try would be the print server. To be safe, use the latest Linux distribution version as it will have the latest printer support. Of course, if you have a network printer, this won't be necessary. You can also buy a "wireless print server" that will connect your USB printer directly to the wireless network so it can be shared by everyone.

Once you feel comfortable with Linux, then I'd try replacing your home router with the Linux server using the iptables firewall, and possibly also the squid web proxy to limit web access by time, URL etc.

Hello from a newbie and home server question

hi,
    Great list. Thanks you very much
    They very useful for me ! Keep up the good work
    Thanks again
    staffingpower dot com.