Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ready to give up

Hybrid View

ready to give up

I was planning to put redhat on my main machine and see if I could start to step away from using windows altogether. I've installed redhat on a couple of other machines here, one to act as a gateway, the other as a file server for our lan. The trouble is it just won't install on this machine. I've tried downloading and burning the iso's again so I don't think its bad media. It went on no problem with the other PC's.

The install prgram works fine, but when it comes to boot up time it just goes down in flames and I have no idea why. The error message seems to be a bit random too, sometimes it complains about irq's, sometimes it goes down while its doing the usb controller, sometimes it makes it far enough to notice that the file system wasn't unmounted properly. It always attempts to spew memory addresses at me though, typically however there's two pages of them so I only get to see the very bottom of the error message.

I can't even get to a login prompt to try see what happened.

Is it actually possible to get this system working without needing a PhD? I just want to have a computer that will let me do things, I'm not interested in getting a computer science degree while I'm at it.

To save anyone asking:
    AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1GHz
    Soltek SL75 KAV mobo
    256Mb ram
    60Gb IBM deskstar 60GXP
    Elsa Gladiac GeForce 2 MX AGP
    3com 10/100 network card

Re: ready to give up

So it wnet through the install okay - How are your BIOS settings? is PnP off? how about the default settings?

one more thing to check is that the AGP BIOS drive streangth in the BIOS is no more than 2x, which odds are won't matter but it has been an an issue on some boards.

To save anyone asking:
    AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1GHz
    Soltek SL75 KAV mobo
    256Mb ram
    60Gb IBM deskstar 60GXP
    Elsa Gladiac GeForce 2 MX AGP
    3com 10/100 network card
    Could this be the AMD bug causing this? Might want to check into that.

So it wnet through the install okay - How are your BIOS settings? *is PnP off? *how about the default settings?

one more thing to check is that the AGP BIOS drive streangth in the BIOS is no more than 2x, *which odds are won't matter but it has been an an issue on some boards. *
    I have tried it with PnP on, and off. The AGP drive strength is set to auto. I'll have a play, it can't hurt. I also tried turning off ide read ahead, I think it was, but I can't remember without rebooting my PC, which was also suggested.

And yeah, the install went fine.

Could this be the AMD bug causing this? *Might want to check into that.
    Would this be the 4Mb/4k caching thing? Is there a solution?! Is it relevent? how would I know?

Would this be the 4Mb/4k caching thing? Is there a solution?! Is it relevent? how would I know?
    I don't think AMD is to blame for this... but try adding this line to your /etc/lilo.conf

append="mem=nopentium"

like this:
    Code:
    image=/boot/lfskernel
     * * * *label=lfs
     * * * *root=/dev/hdc6
     * * * *read-only
     * * * *append="mem=nopentium"
    it can also be done from the lilo command prompt.

btw.
    Sweet hardware..... can I have it ?

Oh your problem might be the GXP, I'm hear of several unXplained crashs with those HDs.. they suck for some reason.

I don't think AMD is to blame for this... but try adding this line to your /etc/lilo.conf

append="mem=nopentium"

like this:
    Code:
    image=/boot/lfskernel
     * * * *label=lfs
     * * * *root=/dev/hdc6
     * * * *read-only
     * * * *append="mem=nopentium"
    it can also be done from the lilo command prompt.
    No dice

btw.
    Sweet hardware..... can I have it ?
    No *:P

I'm really stuck for ideas now. Someone said I should compile a kernel specifically for this machine and see if that works, but tbh I wouldn't know where to start. I've tried bios defaults, disabled the onboard stuff, turned AGP 4x off, fiddling with a fair few bios option, but nothing doing. I think I'm doomed to life with M$.

Doh, just read back the top post and it said something different to when I first read it. Damn, web browsing at the console is annoying...

Ah well, if you can't beat it, avoid it. Mandrake seems to be working ok... so far.

Mandy installs to a system like a fish to water......I installed it on a test server this past weekend and it just installed like it WANTED to be there.

Compared to Slackware which had to be pushed, pulled, and dragged to install.

Id still vote for SuSe though.