Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

ready to give up - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ready to give up

Mentor

Re: ready to give up

Ah well, if you can't beat it, avoid it. Mandrake seems to be working ok... so far.
    i was just going to tell you to try a different distro, somethign like mandrake ( that disrto dosent complain about anything it just goes right on).

from coltrane
    Compared to Slackware which had to be pushed, pulled, and dragged to install.
    actually slackware slid right on for me but the distro that just refused to be installed on my pc was debian!!

Associate

Whoa, y'all ... u really have all that time and dough to try this distro or dat on a box jus 'cause one won't work??

What?... maybe ur gettin em for free ... I dunno. *Well, I gots a long ways to go with this Linux deal ... can't get past a durn "LI" during the LILO boot after a LISA install of a Caldera Open Linux 2.2 distro. *Shucks ... maybe it IS the distro and ain't me po'boy abilities (or, lack thereof??)!

Anyhoo ... I'm too cheap to be buyin multiple distros to get my cheapo AMD K62-300 runnin Linux... and, I guess, too dumb to get past the "LI" on boot.

I'll keep on a perusin ... maybe I'll learn me 'nuf to get it up! ... Linux, that is ... ;D

Whoa, y'all ... u really have all that time and dough to try this distro or dat on a box jus 'cause one won't work??

What?... maybe ur gettin em for free ... I dunno. Well, I gots a long ways to go with this Linux deal ... can't get past a durn "LI" during the LILO boot after a LISA install of a Caldera Open Linux 2.2 distro. Shucks ... maybe it IS the distro and ain't me po'boy abilities (or, lack thereof??)!

Anyhoo ... I'm too cheap to be buyin multiple distros to get my cheapo AMD K62-300 runnin Linux... and, I guess, too dumb to get past the "LI" on boot.

I'll keep on a perusin ... maybe I'll learn me 'nuf to get it up! ... Linux, that is ... ;D
    Most people buy major releases and download point releases. Your problem with LI on Caldera OpenLinux is probably lba32. Try either using a diffrent distro or boot off the cd and add lba32 to /etc/lilo.conf

Mandy installs to a system like a fish to water......I installed it on a test server this past weekend and it just installed like it WANTED to be there.

Compared to Slackware which had to be pushed, pulled, and dragged to install.

Id still vote for SuSe though.
    Slackware and Debian are only for hardcore Linux users or servers. I use Slackware on one of my boxes and, next to OpenBSD's installer, I think it is probably the simpest to use.

Ive been using Windows since Win3.1 (thier only stable OS). My first taste of Linux was Mandrake in March2000. It took me about a year and some change before I was comfortable enough to do a full migration (plus I wanted to check out Win2k)......once Win2K showed its true colors (blue, that is), and SuSe released 7.3 (the greatest Linux OS out there), I became a fulltime Linux user.

Moral of the story is, it takes time.

Ive been using Windows since Win3.1 (thier only stable OS). My first taste of Linux was Mandrake in March2000. It took me about a year and some change before I was comfortable enough to do a full migration (plus I wanted to check out Win2k)......once Win2K showed its true colors (blue, that is), and SuSe released 7.3 (the greatest Linux OS out there), I became a fulltime Linux user.

Very true. Coltrane think SuSE 8.0 will take over your box?

8.0 should take over EVERYONES box

3 days to go

I don't think AMD is to blame for this... but try adding this line to your /etc/lilo.conf
    I had this same problem with my RedHat install, with my T-Bird. It would install, then when it came to starting up, it would crash with "kernel-panic" 's. Lovechild you were close. On your boot line for the kernel with whichever HD, type "append=noathlon' at the end. It should load up, and then do your updates, and it will never happen again.

P.S. Never give up!

I had that LI problem at lilo before too. Take the bootdisk you made (you DID make a boot disk right?) boot that way. Once into linux /sbin/lilo then reboot. Everything should be fine.

Good Guru

Completely agree... It took me almost a year to completely switch over from Windows to Linux. I mean why would everyone believe that you can install Linux ( or any other OS for that matter ) today and will be comfortable and switch over the next week??

Tell me how long it took for you to learn Windows?? Personally, I started out with Win 3.1 ( DOS 6.2 actually ) and even that it took me some time to get comfortable in there....

My advise to people is just dual boot at first ( or have an extra box to play around ), then when you are ready, do the switch..