I'm writing to you from Chile, Southamerica, and need a little help with my tiny home netwk.
Hope you can give me a hand because this thing is breaking my balls.
This is what i have:
1 windows box with XP pro (server)
1 linux box with DSL (box)
1 wrt54gl router with dd-wrt
2 wireless cards, both w/atheros chipsets
1 eth card in the win box
..and this is what i want:
A few days ago my stereo became >/dev/null, so instead of buying a new one i prefered to set up an old pc.. i mean OLD .. let's say.. a p1 100mhz, 64MB ram, 2Gb hdd, as the new remote-controlled home stereo. Basically it would load playlists stored in the windows box, play some fm radio and CD. Before starting to build and configure the infrared-stuff i'd like to finish setting up the network. There's where i need help.
What have i done?
- set the linux box up (192.168.0.3).
- connected it via wifi to the router.
- wired the winbox to the router.
- configured the router as AP (192.168.0.2).
- configured the winbox to share files and printers as well as the inet connection (192.168.0.1).. with the xp wizard.
- configured some shared folders.
- linbox sees winbox and can connect to internet.
- winbox doesn't see linbox neither itself.. nothing shows up in network neighborhood.. net view? nothing.
- linbox can't see winbox shares.
i've tried many things.. all that you can try in 5 days.. but nothing seems to work.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks for reading!