Thanks for the forum. I'm using Suse 9.1 and would like to make available certain files that could change often in a folder assigned to a user for downloading off of my webserver, running Apache 2.

I create these files in Windows and map a drive to the IP address/?/? folder. Currently I am using htdocs. These files have no 'others' permissions so I must manually assign 'can read' permissions on the server. Is there a way to automatically assign permissions when the files are created and made available on the web server using the Samba mapped drive to write the file onto the webserver? I'm willing to try ftp to transfer the files if this is a better way and would want to ensure permissions are set to 'read', throughout the transfer.

So far, I have been able to set up Samba, map a drive to the SSL Apache server and access the files once manually adjusting the permissions. I can download the available file from a browser, if I know the file name.

I'd like to automatically assign rights to the files, add a layer of security by password protecting the files and show a list of available files in the folder, perhaps from an html page or index so the end user can click on the needed file to begin downloading.

I hope this makes enough sense for someone to assist me. I appreciate the help :!: If I am asking too much or creating too much work for such a "simple" task, please suggest alternatives.