Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

changing hostname with out fouling up network connection?

Thread: changing hostname with out fouling up network connection?

Hybrid View

changing hostname with out fouling up network connection?

Any suggestions on changing the hostname without fouling up the network connection? All the posts I have google'd warn of messing up the network connection if the hostname is changed, but I'm still not clear on the whole solution. Please don't hesitate to ask if I can provide more information, especially about the network connection. Thanks!

Advisor
    change /etc/hostname as you like, then run the command
    #hostname <new_hostname>
    and you should be all good to go.
    No need to worry about problems, unless you change it from "ns1.google.com" to "non-exsiting"
    Don't worry Ma'am. We're university students, - We know what We're doing.
    'Ruiat coelum, fiat voluntas tua.'
    Datalogi - en livsstil; Intet liv, ingen stil.

changing hostname without fouling up network connection-- resolved

Here's what I did:

1. changed the content of /etc/hostname
    2. altered the 127.0.0.1 entry of /etc/hosts
    3. ran
    Code:
     #hostname <new_hostname>
    3. rebooted

And it worked like a charm.

Thanks for your help, redhead!

changing hostname with out fouling up network connection, follow-up

Here are some entries from this morning's /var/log/boot I find interesting and would like the board's opinion about:
    Code:
    Tue Jul 22 04:32:04 2008: /dev/mapper/oldhostname-root: clean, 359383/9404416 files, 8092517/18795520 blocks
    Tue Jul 22 04:32:06 2008:   Found volume group "oldhostname" using metadata type lvm2
    Tue Jul 22 04:32:06 2008:   2 logical volume(s) in volume group "oldhostname" now active
    and likewise from this morning's # dmesg:
    Code:
    # dmesg
    Linux version 2.6.25.9 (root@oldhostname) (gcc version 4.3.1 (Debian 4.3.1-2) ) #1 SMP Fri Jul 4 19:52:20 PDT 2008
    Kernel command line: root=/dev/mapper/oldhostname-root ro
    Adding 2715640k swap on /dev/mapper/oldhostname]-swap_1.  Priority:-1 extents:1 across:2715640k
    Did I overlook some files to modify, or a command? Does it even matter? Will these incidences of oldhostname conflict somehow with newhostname and cause problems?

Thank you for your time and expertise!

Best regards from North-Central California USA,

bezdomny

Advisor
    This has nothing todo with how hte machine is identified to the net, these messages has to do with the mapping of your harddrive and which machine name was active at the time when the kernel was created ie:
    Code:
    > dmesg|head -n 1
    Linux version 2.6.25 (root@fenris) (gcc version 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-21)) #1 Sun Apr 20 11:42:41 CEST 2008
    > hostname
    garm
    So I build the kernel on a machine named "fenris" but have it running on a machine named "garm"
    Same thing with your info, the machine was named "oldhostname" when you created the install and build of kernel, so the mapping and kernel build info reflects that, the name in /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts is the one reflecting the machine towards the net it's a part of.
    Don't worry Ma'am. We're university students, - We know what We're doing.
    'Ruiat coelum, fiat voluntas tua.'
    Datalogi - en livsstil; Intet liv, ingen stil.

changing hostname with out fouling up network connection, solved & concluded

Thank you as always, redhead. You've enlightened me and put my mind at ease. I think we're done now!

best regards to all from North-Central California,

bezdomny