Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Wierd things happened yesterday

Thread: Wierd things happened yesterday

Wierd things happened yesterday

Running RH7.2 on an Athalon 900 with 358 mgs ram.

Okay was futzing with applications and all the sudden things got wierd. One program crashed and upon running it again all the saved data was gone. Okay reboot...

Reboot and noticed that
    Postresql would not start up <Failed>

Then X would not start it just kept cycling between a black screen and the command line login.

Shutdown the system and waited about 3 minutes fired up and
    Postresql still would not start
    dma32bit execrvs permission denied.
    But X started just fine.

The CPU temp was 125 deg F
    The CPU fan was running at 5700 rpm

Any thoughts on why X would not start until cold boot and Postresql will not start no matter what. And how do I fix that permissions problem on dma32bit?

Thanks
    Ras

Re: Wierd things happened yesterday

Fatal Filesystem Error ??

which FS do you run ?

I think you are asking if it is ext3 or ext2. I use ext3 since that was the biggest rave of RH7.2

Hopefully that was the right answer.

Also I am running Ximian Gnome as default for startup and Grub with kernel version 2.9.4-31 (I think thats the latest from RH).

Ras

Okay was futzing with applications and all the sudden things got wierd.
    what exactly were u doing?

what exactly were u doing?
    Standard answer : Nothing

My standard reply: then why was the computer on ??

---

Damn ext3 is stable it just sounded like your log file exploded or your HD suddenly got damaged somehow....

WAIT,.. that program you tinkered with.. it wasn't HDPARM was it ? ? ? ? ?

Without incriminating me I was using PAN and it locked up and reported a bug unfortunately it does not say what the bug was. *Upon reloading it lost the list of Newsgroups as if it ate itself. *

HDPARM is ran at log in and has been stable for over a month.

The computer is always on. I thought I lost the need to keep it off when I switched from M$ to Linux ;D
    Besides I host Multiple User Dungeon Games and a webserver

Thanks
    Ras

hello,
    do you have the athlon bug fix in lilo or GRUB ? I had problems galore before I put this in, it had to do with memory handling. my system has been up for 60+ days since i put the fix in.

ATHALON BUG FIX FOR LILO OR GRUB?

Oh great now someone tells me there was a bug...

Any idea where I can get the info?

Thanks

Lovey posted about it awhile back... it was on /. and gentoo... everybody knows about the athlon bug...

but in lilo:

append="mem=nopentium" for each image in your /etc/lilo.conf like this:

Code:
    image=/boot/lfskernel5
        label=lfs
        root=/dev/md1 <--- Lovey has kewl RAID0
        read-only
        append="mem=nopentium" <---- This is the "fix"
    run lilo as root and reboot (uh so windows like)... I don't quite know the way to do it in GRUB, but I'm sure you can look it up on google or Gentoo.org.

here is my grub.conf file alon with the nopentium fix

Code:
    # grub.conf generated by anaconda
    #
    # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
    # NOTICE: You do not have a /boot partition. This means that
    #     all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
    #     root (hd1,0)
    #     kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hdb1
    #     initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
    #
    #splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    #boot=/dev/hda
    default=0
    timeout=10
    splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    password --md5 $dsefe777621wdewde43de329123
    title linux 2.4.17
        root (hd1,0)
        kernel /boot2417/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hdb1 hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi ide0=ata66 ide1=ata66 mem=nopentium 
        initrd /boot2417/initrd-2.4.17.img
    title linux 2.4.16
        root (hd1,0)
        kernel /boot2416/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hdb1 hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi ide0=ata66 ide1=ata66 mem=nopentium 
        initrd /boot2416/initrd-2.4.16.img
    title Red Hat Linux (2.4.7-10)
        root (hd1,0)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.7-10 ro root=/dev/hdb1 hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi ide0=ata66 ide1=ata66 mem=nopentium 
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.7-10.img
    title win
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        chainloader +1