Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

It's Linux time

Thread: It's Linux time

It's Linux time

HiHo!

I've been searching for a download source of Suse 8.0 for so long that I'm sick of it...so today I'll buy it

So now the big question before I'll install it this weekend:

I have 2 harddiscs. The second remains untouched (40 GB NTFS disc for mp3, movies, downloads, stuff,....).
    The first disc (hda) has 20 GB and 2 partitions. The first contains W2K and the second contains stuff I'll move to the other disc.....so the second partition on my first disc is free for linux (10 GB should do it).
    Should I delete this partition before installing Suse? Is it ok to have W2K and Linux on the same physical disc (but on different partitions)?
    Should I install lilo? And can lilo boot me into linux AND w2k?

So far I have only played around with linux on an old computer...but now I'm installing it on my main computer and I don't want to mess anything up.

Thnx in advance.

Re: It's Linux time

1) You can't download the entire SuSE because it includes non free software - they only provide a Trial disc with the non free stuff gone.

2) I think the SuSE installer should be able to install on that.

3) Lilo or grub should be able to do just that.

4) the shared HD, NTFS write support is a bit dangerous - that might cause some problems - M$ isn't exactly helping us out on the issue if you know what I mean.

Re: It's Linux time

Yup, I know that writing on a NTFS partition is dangerous, but I don't intend to do that. It's enough to read from that partition.

And if I need to write on that disc I'll move everything away, format as fat32 and move back.