Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Root vs su?

Thread: Root vs su?

Root vs su?

Hello all: After lurking and then joining the distributed comp section I have decided to post.
    Here's my Q: Just what is the difference between root and logging su via user? ;D

Re: Root vs su?

Loggin in as root can be more dangerous since the whole session is just root. su is generally better since you pop in as root for a minute or so and then pop back into normal user mode. I personally like sudeo better since it allows for a normal user to do root related things to a point.

Good Guru

Logging in with ROOT will do your whole system's processes to be run as root user.. So if you run some scripts that you got from Internet using root user will render your system to its knees.. This is the major problem with Windows security.

Doing SU will only permit limited time to becomes a superuser but will leave all the processes untouched. For example, if you open up a terminal, it will be open as normal user but only specific time, it will becomes superuser ...

I personally like sudeo better since it allows for a normal user to do root related things to a point.
    Not me though ( I know to each its own ) but this can also do a great damage to it ..... You may be unknowingly change all those setting on the system or run unsafe scripts ...

Here i why using root is dangerous ...

Code:
    root@nwsupplies:/home/ash# ls
    AGSatellite0520 * * * * * * * * * eclipse
    CD * * * * * * * * * * * * ffjuser30
    avifile-0.7.3-20020419.i386.tgz *libdvdcss-0.0.3.ogle3
    darkfire * * * * * * * * * libdvdcss-0.0.3.ogle3.tar.gz
    dc * * * * * * * * * * * * mp3
    drip-0.8.1 * * * * * * * * * school
    drip-0.8.1.tar.gz * * * * * * songs
    root@nwsupplies:/home/ash# rm -rf drip-0.8.1*
    root@nwsupplies:/home/ash# rm -rf avifile-0.7.3-20020419.i386.tgz *
    ls
    root@nwsupplies:/home/ash# 
    root@nwsupplies:/home/ash# DAMNIT
    bash: DAMNIT: command not found
    Yes, I really did that *:

Hello all: Ashcrow, cannot make heads or tails of your post, lol... I have found one problem opening my web page html in vi as the wrong user and then not being able to get past the warnings, do I place the ! symbol before the :w (write) command or the :qa(exit) commands? Phew it has been quite a steep learning curve for the past few weeks coming from windows to a command line environment(self imposed). Hoping to begin figuring perl here in the near future though, might help with the security files from apache, and the net tools I am setting up. Always LearninLinux...

Ashcrow, cannot make heads or tails of your post, lol...
    He deleted all his files by accident.

I have found one problem opening my web page html in vi as the wrong user and then not being able to get past the warnings, do I place the ! symbol before the :w (write) command or the :qa(exit) commands?
    Vim's tricky at first, but it's worth knowing.

You use the ! after the command (:w!), but you won't be able to save the file even with the !. That's the whole idea of file ownership. You can only edit the file as the user who owns it.

Hoping to begin figuring perl here in the near future
    Perl is lots of fun ;D

Hello all: I see now, rm! I can understand. I felt a certain amount of trepidation at just rm,ing some html and jpg files from my web pages. I am learning what can and cannot be accomplished using root, su and just plain user. Seems that settin up apache for the www I need to use root . When I actually get down to setting up the addresses , I'll make sure to post here first, ya know ask q's first act later, LOL... ;D