Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Successful EMAIL Server Setup

Thread: Successful EMAIL Server Setup

Successful EMAIL Server Setup

Hello everyone! I had a successful setup of Email server. I used Fedora Core 8 + Postfix + Dovecot + Squirrelmail.

Everything is working fine, I can send and receive mails from Yahoo and Gmail.

Only one thing that bothers me is that the address that appears in my mail box in Yahoo and Gmail is useraccount@localhost.mydomain.com. It shoud only be useraccount@mydomain.com. Why is "localhost" appearing?

Pls Help! Thanks in advance!

A couple of things to check:

look at /etc/hosts,
    what's 127.0.0.1 say?

Also what's the output of
    echo $HOSTNAME
    63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs,
    ya get 1 whacked with a service pack,
    now there's 63,005 bugs in the code!!

I got another question. Is it necessary to run a DNS server in an email server? Do registrars provide an MX record to one's domain? My setup would be just one email server for my domain. Thanks...

I'm not sure I understand the question, is this issue with not receiving mail? If there is no MX, it will default to the domain. So if your email server is mydomain.com, email for mydomain.com will go to your server, provided there is no MX record specifying otherwise.
    63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs,
    ya get 1 whacked with a service pack,
    now there's 63,005 bugs in the code!!

Thanks for the reply! It guided me. I just knew that I had to use checkdns utility to check if everything is working fine..