Thread: Linux Assistance Needed Urgently

Unhappy Linux Assistance Needed Urgently

Hi
    I have an assignemnt on Linux I need to list and research problems that are not yet solved. Please help

double posting?

i cant help it ok
    im desperate

Try using google to research your subject before you post messages like that. I personally (and I think most of us here are the same), will not help anyone who does not try or maybe not willing to try to work it out on their own. Your message sounds like one of those. If you have a decent try at whatever your assignment is and post the specific problem that you can not work out then I am more than happy to help you out.
    As for double posting, don't do it...

Cheers,
    Mechdave

I'll give you a start... If you mean problems that are not solved in Linux yet, one major issue I keep running in to is PCI bus device ordering. Example: you have 2 NICs in your computer
    First card has ports NIC1 and NIC2
    second card has ports NIC3 and NIC4

the first time it boots up, here's the mapping:

NIC1 - eth0
    NIC2 - eth1
    NIC3 - eth2
    NIC4 - eth3

If you reboot, you may get this order:

NIC1 - eth2
    NIC2 - eth3
    NIC3 - eth0
    NIC4 - eth1

There's currently two solutions, neither are a fix:

1. You can hardcode MAC addresses for each interface

2. You can pass the kernel the command line option pci=bfsort

Let me know if you find anything else. I tried not to be too specific so as to leave some research for you...
    63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs,
    ya get 1 whacked with a service pack,
    now there's 63,005 bugs in the code!!

i have been working on this assignment for the past month
    someone told me the best place for info on linux is forums cos i had a hard time finding ppl that know linux even though i work in the IT field myself
    i have come across a few problems already jus thought of adding on. so far this is wat i have
    1)Any user can change the root user password
    2)the lack of a unified installation method
    3)Changing configurations often requires some research
    4)Spam filtering problem with program called SpamAssassin
    5)Post Install Blues - login problems
    6)Laptop Support

so i DID do a lot of work by myself

Ok, what distro are you using and what version is it? Which window manager are you using? What permissions does /etc/passwd have? and is the user id of root set to zero? If not it needs to be. This is the output of the permissions of passwd on my system (Ubuntu 7.10)
    Code:
    dave@dave-laptop:~$ ls -la /etc/passwd
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1315 2008-03-30 11:27 /etc/passwd
    It sounds like you are a windows admin, (which is fine), do you have a reference book on unix commands handy when yo are using linux. I found that extremely helpful at the start. As for a unified install method, perhaps there should be one but you must realise that there are many different flavours of linux and many people dedicate many unpaid hours to making it all work. Changing configurations is not always point and click kind of thing, (which we have become used to in windows), but editing of files by hand. Linux sees everything as a file so you get good at editing. One major web resource I use heaps all the time is http://tldp.org this is the Linux Documentation Project, it houses many HOWTO documents on many of the programs included in Linux. Another good tip is if you are dealing with a command line without graphics, the editor called joe is easy to use and understand for a beginner, (I still use it now with 10 years experience in linux). Lastly don't expect to know everything about linux after a while, that is an impossible task. I have been using linux of some sort for the last 10 years and I still learn something new every day. Also the man system in linx has great documentation too. Just type man man at the command line for instructions on how to use it. Remember we all are here to answer your questions about specific problems you are having, but please include your distribution name and version and the name of the program you are having trouble with along with a detailed explanation of the problem. Go forth and be brave my friend, and above all have fun

cheers,
    Mechdave

Well I guess one issue you would need to address in your research is to clearly define what Linux is. Are you talking about the entire platform (bootloader + kernel + sys progs + user applications)? Or Linux itself (kernel)?

If you're talking about the platform, then you run into a lot of distro specific issues. When you say stuff like "
    the lack of a unified installation method" and "Changing configurations often requires some research." Those issues often go back to the fact that 'Linux' as most people know it isn't a product itself, there's no one single maintainer.

For example, if you work with RHEL, you know how to change configurations and how the installer works (you can even do scripted installs). Now say you want to move on to Gentoo, then you might not know how to change system services, install software, etc...

I don't know if this helps, let me know if you'd like more (clearer) feedback.
    63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs,
    ya get 1 whacked with a service pack,
    now there's 63,005 bugs in the code!!