Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19
samba over internet

Thread: samba over internet

samba over internet

Hello,

I've been long time samba user on local lan. Recently I have the need to establish samba to work over the internet. This however does not work. I've checked for various firewall rules, ports to forward and no luck. I know there is a ssh + samba howto which I'm planning to dive into as soon as I get this issue resolved.

Here is the schema.
    I have co-lo server and installed samba on redhat 9. Server is in Texas. I'm trying to mount the samba share from a workstation in Chicago. I'm behind a router in Chicago. The error I get is "The network path was not found".

The iptables in the samba server have ports 137_139 open, I even disabled the firewall completely.

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Netbios isn't a routable protocol as TCP/IP is. There fore I believe you would at the very least forward the protocol on your router. On a Cisco router it is the "ip forward protocol command". But I imagine even that wouldn't work. The best solution would be to VPN from the remote location and have the drive mapped to the SAMBA share.

http://www.splarg.com