Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

(Plz read)How to use two internet connections in Linux

Thread: (Plz read)How to use two internet connections in Linux

Question (Plz read)How to use two internet connections in Linux

Hi.

I've been trying to search a solution to this problem for many weeks now. I've posted on forums, and searched on google many times, but still can't find a solution.

Both my connections are dialup (configured via wvdial), and use two different USB modems (ttyACM0, ttyUSB0).
    When I connect both of them, I can't browse anything.

In windows, I used the trial of Wingate software to setup a local http proxy on 127.0.0.1 and used both my dialup connections as "gateways". I got combined speed of both the connections successfully in multi threaded downloads.

So can anyone tell how can I do the same in Linux. Any proxy software similar to Wingate? (which will allow me to use two connections as gateways). Or any other solution ? (with iproute2 or something?).

I really wish I'll find a solution from you guys.

Thanks in advance.

What you are wanting to do is called "shotgunning" your lines. Here's a site that explains it all, and several links with how-to's, and various other articles explaining how to do, and how to understand it.
    arrogance breeds ignorance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Advisor
    Don't worry Ma'am. We're university students, - We know what We're doing.
    'Ruiat coelum, fiat voluntas tua.'
    Datalogi - en livsstil; Intet liv, ingen stil.

Thank you guys for taking time and responding, but unfortunate for me, the links/solutions you mentioned are not applicable in my proble.

Two of them mention bonding ethernet devices (NIC cards) and load balancing them. (While I have USB wireless modems).

The other (56k.com) mentions something which I don't fully understand, but I am pretty sure it is talking something about Phone lines, while my both connections are wireless dialup connections: One is GPRS/EDGE I use through my cell phone, the other is a CDMA phone supporting Internet.

I hope I've made my situation clear now, sorry for not explaining in the first post.

Hoping to get some help.

Thanks

Advisor
    In linux it dosn't matter wether it's NIC or PPP connection, once it's connected, it's ultimately the very same inteface according to the bonding module.

Here is a walk through for Ubunto 6.10: http://www.howtoforge.com/network_bonding_ubuntu_6.10
    Here is one for Debian: http://www.howtoforge.com/nic_bonding
    Here is one for CentOS: http://www.howtoforge.com/network_card_bonding_centos
    • You have some interfaces:
      • ppp0/eth0/ath0/ra0/etc.
      • ppp1/eth1/ath1/ra1/etc.
    • You tell bonding module to create an interface ready to consist of your orriginal interfaces
      • alias bond0 bonding
      • options bond0 mode=0 miimon=100 downdelay=200 updelay=200
    • You create this new interface consisting of your already created connections
      • ifenslave bond0 [ppp0/eth0/ath0/ra0/etc.] [ppp1/eth1/ath1/ra1/etc.]
    • You set this new interface to be the one to contact the world through
      • Code:
        iface bond0 inet static
           address 192.168.0.120
           netmask 255.255.255.0
           network 192.168.0.0
           broadcast 192.168.0.255
           gateway 192.168.0.1
           hwaddress ether 00:03:B3:48:50:2C
    The trigger is in fact the ifenslave bond0 eth0 eth1 and declaring default gateway to be within the bond0 ip-range.
    Last edited by redhead; 04-11-2008 at 06:39 PM.
    Don't worry Ma'am. We're university students, - We know what We're doing.
    'Ruiat coelum, fiat voluntas tua.'
    Datalogi - en livsstil; Intet liv, ingen stil.