Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Radio for PC.

Thread: Radio for PC.

Radio for PC.

Hi, all
    It's a long time I have been away from OpenFree.
    I have a question now:
    Does anyone know how I can get radio frequencies using PC. I mean is there a radio tuner card or anything ?
    I googled but did not find what I want, which is a way to receive SW radio wave using my PC with a good quality.
    Thanks in advance.
    This will be over soon, and then I can ...

Good Guru
    FM will work. No experience with the tuner cards. Some TV tuners do this.
    Such as:
    http://alrightdeals.com/CommonItem.h...r___MSI-TV_ANY
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...o-work-492693/
    http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t...c81d562522c91e

XM is hard, but doable with the old USB tuner. It took me ages to get my USB one, which btw, works fine on Linux There is a Java frontend to send the signal to select a new channel and to scan the channels available for feed info.
    http://javaxm.sourceforge.net/

AM probably will not work. At least not well. Oddly the only computer that AM likes is my iMac. My Macbook, my Toshiba Satellite, homebrew tower, homebrew htpc all hate AM. Leaked RFI, that is for sure, and is worse due to the harmonic frequencies I am thinking. Since a particular band (3GHz AMDs) of frequencies seem to be the worst in interfering with my radios.

What I do now is use a portable shortwave radio from Radio Shack that does AM and FM to get my fixin of AM talk. I do plan to stop using rechargeable batteries and manufacture a USB interface, but that isn't done yet.

HTH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think it was Serius that had the site that you could log into, and use your account to listen to channels. Works great in Linux (at least a friend of mine use to use it on Ubuntu and SuSE in 2005.
    arrogance breeds ignorance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks for the help.
    I need to receive the waves with a good quality. The platform does not matter (Linux or Windows) since I have FC8 and Windows Vista Ultimate on my PC.
    I found HD Radio to be high quality, but couldn't find a PC card.
    Thanks for the help again.
    This will be over soon, and then I can ...

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Kernel_Killer View Post
    I think it was Serius that had the site that you could log into, and use your account to listen to channels. Works great in Linux (at least a friend of mine use to use it on Ubuntu and SuSE in 2005.
    XM does too. Unfortunately a limited (the few channels that arent present are the ones I give 2 craps about).

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by omidkamangar View Post
    Thanks for the help.
    I need to receive the waves with a good quality. The platform does not matter (Linux or Windows) since I have FC8 and Windows Vista Ultimate on my PC.
    I found HD Radio to be high quality, but couldn't find a PC card.
    Thanks for the help again.
    Along the lines of where KK was going, you could see if the radio station (FM or AM) has a streaming feed. Or, you could use something like Pandora to generate a music feed to your liking. Cheaper than having to pick up a tuner card.

Sorry I didn't think of this prior.