Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

To be a linux administrator

Thread: To be a linux administrator

To be a linux administrator

Hi all bros

I'd like to work as a Linux Network Administrator. What are the duties of a linux net admin. What things do I need to do it as well.

I'm a newbe to linux. I've installed Linux on some HP servers. I've configured some network services such as squid, posfix, Load balancing, samba, dns, dovecot, shorewall firewall using iptables... something like that. I configured these servers two years ago. They are running well. So, I don't need to do day to day administration tasks.

I'm not used to with linux commands. I usually use webmin as admin tool.

So, give me some advices. What things do I need to learn. What are the specific jobs in linux admin carrer.

Thank you all.

Well, there are lots of things to do. It really depends on the size of the organization you're working for. If you're working for a small company, you'll probably end up doing everything. If you work for a larger corporation, then things will be split into groups and you'll have a more specific role (installs, DNS, LDAP, NIS, troubleshooting, whatever). I'd recommend you try to get some certification if you aren't proficient with the command line, I don't know any sysadmins who use webmin. Hope this helps!
    63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs,
    ya get 1 whacked with a service pack,
    now there's 63,005 bugs in the code!!

Thank you very much indeed.

I'm working for a small company right now and I'm looking for a job in a big company as Linux sysadmin. I don't have any certs for linux. I only had MS certs. So, I'll try to get some Linux certs.

Anyway, your help is a useful thing for me. I'll hope some advices from other members.

Thank you all.

There are lots of certifying companies available in town but what among those should be the best one to go for. I define "best" as the right track if you want go work on big companies.. What distro do you think mostly used in big companies?

Thanks countach44

Stop using Webmin if you plan to persue such a career. Once you learn what it's actually doing, then feel free to use it. I'm not trying to be mean, but you really need to know how to handle the system with the bare minimum applications. The reason I say this, is as an admin, you will eventually run into a server not being able to start, or forcing you into single-user mode. In such a situation, you need to know how to find out what the drives are, how to mount them manually with read and write permissions, how to check the disks if they don't allow you to mount them, check logs manually, edit files with vi (I say this because it's default on EVERY distro). That is just one example, but knowing how to do everything without the silver lining is key to being an admin.

If you are really serious about this, uninstall X, and learn to setup, and do everything with only what commands are default. Also, 'screen' is your friend.
    arrogance breeds ignorance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks for the info...