Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Booting into linux

Booting into linux

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone knew out there if I can install RedHat 7.2 to a second hard drive, but not install the boot loader. Meaning is it possible to boot into Linux whenever I want from a floppy disk?

Thanx,
    Ryan

Mentor

Re: Booting into linux

Absolutely ...

Yeah, I think that before LILO was wide-spread, that was the ONLY way to dual-boot, but floppies are very unreliable; once you get up and running, I'd do some studying of the various boot-loaders available. There's a lot of them out there, both GUI and command line. It's real nice NOT having to depend on a floppy that might crap out at any time.

Yeah I understand that a boot loade would be the best. I just didn't want to freak the wife out when she saw the loader.

One more question... is there a way to copy the image of the diskette that gets made so I can put it on my Windows partition... Just in case the floppy craps out I can just copy the image onto another one?

Thanx-again,
    Ryan

When I dual-booted, I used XOSL. Available from www.xosl.org
    It will boot several Linux distros and Win etc. look at the faqs before you use any loaders, just to make sure they will do what you want first.

Good Guru

I used to have one box that use Loadlin for the loader. So the NTLoader is in charge of booting the box ( I know it's bad but ), then it will call out to the booting sector of Loadlin in the Windows partition. I successfully got dual booted with NT and Debian.

Search Google for the loadlin ( it may even be on your distro disk ) and linuxdoc.org for documentations help. We used to have a wide discussion on this site too so do a search also.

Yeah I understand that a boot loade would be the best. I just didn't want to freak the wife out when she saw the loader.

One more question... is there a way to copy the image of the diskette that gets made so I can put it on my Windows partition... Just in case the floppy craps out I can just copy the image onto another one?

Thanx-again,
    Ryan
    I can understand what you're saying; I think you're married to MY wife, but I would think that a graphical boot loader with mouse support would be "more familiar" than a floppy disk boot- that can be kinda intimidating.
    I'm not sure if you can store a boot image on WIN; I don't think the raw image itself would work (Windows isn't very Linux Friendly)

Good Guru

I don't think the raw image itself would work (Windows isn't very Linux Friendly)
    That's why you need loadlin.exe for. It will read it and load it for you. Check this one out.

http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel...g/loadlin.html

Or you might like my "Step by Step Loadlin instructions for newbies"
    with an InstallShield version of LoadLin available along with the
    LoadLin patch for Windows ME.

Get it here: http://www.linux.sh

Ok I may sound dumb but how did you know I use Windows ME?