Hey guys. I have recently purchased a IDE to USB hard drive enclosure so I can get some data off my million and a half of IDE hard drives hanging around. Every time I plug it into my PC, I get an error saying that the device has malfunctioned and that windows cant recognise the device. I noticed that it also disconnects all the other USB devices on the PC when i plug it in too. Here is what I have tried to fix it:
1.) Changed jumper settings on the hard drive multiple times.
2) Tried different USB ports and pc's
3.) Tried it on my mac and windows. (same result, nothing)
4.) Even tried changing the polarity of the ide cables (even though I know they are right in the first place)
5.) Taken one back to the store and got another one
6.) Tried different hard drives