Thread: Local DNS Problem

Exclamation Local DNS Problem

I am using One local DNS Server for LAN user for accessing internet.Nowthe problem is when I put a new IP in the server it works fine with Windows machine, but the same ip fails to work with Linux machine.I amm using Class C ip address witth mask 255.255.255.192.Previously added IP address in the server working with Linux machine .Please help me to resolve the problem......

Question

Please help me about the Local dNS problem..It's Urgent... till I cannot solve the problem....

Advisor
    You need to be more specific.

When you say, you enter the IP into your DNS server, do you mean add a new A record, or do you mean setup a new machine with another IP to access your DNS server ?

With a netmask of 255.255.255.192 you do realise that you only have room for 64 IP's, letting your DNS have something like 10.0.0.1 with a given broadcast of 10.0.0.64 gives you only room for IP's to add within 10.0.0.2-63, if your added IP is outside these bounds you're not able to contact it within your network.

If the problem lies within your abillity to resolve the NAME to the newly added IP, then it could be the linux machine is relying on the cached names, where the newly added hasn't propagated yet.

But unless you give us some more specific infos, like which name server, what the entered details are, where the problem occurs, we're not able to zero in on your specific problem.
    Don't worry Ma'am. We're university students, - We know what We're doing.
    'Ruiat coelum, fiat voluntas tua.'
    Datalogi - en livsstil; Intet liv, ingen stil.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by redhead View Post
    You need to be more specific.

When you say, you enter the IP into your DNS server, do you mean add a new A record, or do you mean setup a new machine with another IP to access your DNS server ?

With a netmask of 255.255.255.192 you do realise that you only have room for 64 IP's, letting your DNS have something like 10.0.0.1 with a given broadcast of 10.0.0.64 gives you only room for IP's to add within 10.0.0.2-63, if your added IP is outside these bounds you're not able to contact it within your network.

If the problem lies within your abillity to resolve the NAME to the newly added IP, then it could be the linux machine is relying on the cached names, where the newly added hasn't propagated yet.

But unless you give us some more specific infos, like which name server, what the entered details are, where the problem occurs, we're not able to zero in on your specific problem.

My IP pool is not filled...totay.I am adding a new entr to my Local DNS Server....And putting the same ip in Linux machine is not working.route -n command shows no gateway up...in Linux machine.But that works fine with XP and Vista Machine.Please help me....

Question

Quote Originally Posted by saswata View Post
    My IP pool is not filled...totay.I am adding a new entr to my Local DNS Server....And putting the same ip in Linux machine is not working.route -n command shows no gateway up...in Linux machine.But that works fine with XP and Vista Machine.Please help me....

Please help me to solve the problem...............Its urgent.....

Quote Originally Posted by saswata View Post
    route -n command shows no gateway up...

Sounds like your networking setup on the linux machine isn't correct.

-S9-

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Sektion9 View Post
    Sounds like your networking setup on the linux machine isn't correct.

-S9-

I have checked the network setup several times there is nothing wrong..because windows machine is working fine with the same ip and gateway.......