Thread: iptables freezes mozilla

iptables freezes mozilla

I am working on building a basic iptables firewall using a script. I have dropped everything on the INPUT chain and opened only a hole for people to access my web server at port 80 and for me to accept replies from web sites I requested web pages from. I do not restrict the OUTPUT chain yet (the default state is ACCEPT) or the FORWARD. I have both Konqueror and Mozilla on my system (RedHat EL). I also allow UDP packets through the INPUT chain. Now, when I start Mozilla it loads just fine, but when I try to type a new URL it freezes (Only when I press a character while I am in the URL address text box). That would not be strange if Konqueror was behaving the same, but it does not. I can load konqueror and serf the web just fine. Anybody knows what's up with that. Sorry for the long message, I was just trying to describe the problem in detail

Administrator Moderator
    At first I thought it may have been DNS, but allowing inbound/outbound UDP should fix that problem. If your machine is a DNS server, you hould also allow TCP port 53 inbound as well.

Do you allow full inbound/outbound access on TCP/UDP to localhost (127.0.0.1)? Many applications require this open to work. Mozilla may be one of them.

At the end of your INPUT, OUTPUT and FORWARD chains you should add a LOG and DROP jumps as seen below.

http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/l...m#_Toc88490120

You should then check your /var/log/messages file to see what is being blocked and then add entries to the chains to facilitate this activity.

Hope this helps.

You were right about the localhost

It seems that Mozilla needs TCP/UDP on localhost to operate correctly. It was kind of silly of me to forget the localhost, but thank you for your post, you were right on the money.