Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

networking administration help

Thread: networking administration help

networking administration help

Hi, Im a network administrator all I ever use is Windows : DNS, DHCP, Active Directory...
    Im trying to install all these in a Linux Fedora Server, I had find infromation about DNS, DHCP, centralized autehntication, but I can not figure out how a domain controller and active directory gets into linux, is there a domain in linux? how the user/computer conects to the linux "domain" ?,where/how the politics are configured ?.
    I know there is SAMBA but I, basically, want to know is how to connet a linux user/computer to a linux server into a domain or somthing like that and how to apply some security plices .
    I dont want a complete guide, just some information that can guide me to solve these.

Thanks in advance.

You're still going to have to use Samba. Samba is basically the SMB and Windows LDAP application to handle the protocols. There isn't a domain for Linux by default, at least not for an AD server. Inside the smb.conf, you set the domain name, authentication, script paths, etc.

As for not wanting a complete guide, you can find lots of how-tos through google, but I'll tell you this from the experience people I've trained have learned the hard way. If you do not take the time to study how Samba, and it's functions, you will run into a lot of issues. Samba is very temperamental, and without knowing some of the internals, you could be beating your head against a wall for hours figuring out why it's not working correctly. While it has emulated the ability of a Windows AD server, it cannot be configured the same way. As you study the system, the policies and such will come along with it.

Needless to say if you want to keep the AD server on Windows, there are a few other components for a Linux client. One specifically would be AD4Unix, which is an AD plugin to allow Linux/UNIX based clients to work with a Windows based AD server.

If you have any specific questions to help get this running, feel free to ask away.

Samba AD Docs per Samba.org

Linux Client AD Setup
    arrogance breeds ignorance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks for your answer I really apreciate it, now I have a pair of questions:

1: Like I said before I have always use Windows ( Sorry , now I am trying to change that ) so suppouse I want to have a linux network no windows at all. How do you do it? If there is no domain, what do we have to organaize the users/clients, are there groups or something ? How/Where do I get a user/client into that group or whatever it is called?

2:With Samba I can connect windows and linux users into the same network, configure domain, share printers, files... right ? Can I connect a linux client to the samba domain ? or the linux clients stays out of it ?

Thanks again for your time.

1. There are a few ways to do this, and it really depends on what you plan to do with your network. If you were in need of a AD server before, or want the network-wide authentication, shares, etc, you would use NIS (You can even connect Windows systems to this with the use of Windows Services for UNIX). Linux does use a domain, but at the time of explaining, I figured that saying linux does have a domain would cause some confusion.

2. Yes, Samba is made to allow Linux to connect and emulate a SMB/AD server. If you setup a Linux Samba server, it can act as an AD server, that both Linux and Windows clients can connect to, see the network shares, see the printers, and even have group policies set for various resources. To answer your question in summary, yes, Linux systems can be a part of this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks again.

From now all my questions about Samba are clear, I will start with that.

For the linux domain: How is it configured? How a client is connected to it? which application do i need?
    Im just trying to figure out a big picture of a linux network... Thanks

The actual linux domain is specified in the FQDN of the server. For NIS, it will use this for your network authentication. You don't need any apps at all. A internal DNS server with host records of local hostname wouldn't hurt though. In samba though, the domain would be set in the smb.conf itself.

There are security problems with NIS. It would be best to pursue a solution using OpenLDAP. Linux should support this natively, and it may be possible to integrate Windows clients into this if Kerberos is properly implemented.

Talking Linux Domain

Dear u have to configure samba PDC (Primary domain Controller) to login your windows user into linux system.

Good Guru
    YES, if you want your Linux system to act as NT4 PDC type of thing. Samba can replace MOST of what NT4 PDC does but not all of it. For example, you can promote and demote PDC to BDC and vice versa at will in NT but not in Samba, IIRC. Starting with Samba 3 though, you can do AD type of things with OpenLDAP and Kerboros.

- The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!