Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

How softwares and Windows interact with each other?

Thread: How softwares and Windows interact with each other?

How softwares and Windows interact with each other?

Hi,

If there is a software that can tell you the amout of free space on your hard drive and things related to it, then the software needs to access certain part of the operating system in order to correctly collect and display information about the hard drive. So programmers write such code that can access these areas of the system. I am not sure what they are called technically but may be something like the registry. What I mean is the programming language used needs to have specific functionalities/capabilities built into it that can access these areas. Am I right here? And Windows being not an open source product the code is never known to the programmers, so this must be a great challenge to overcome. Can any one experienced in developing applications that work specifically on Windows pc tell me as how this is achieved? Thanks...

I'm Silly, I know, but...

Windows File Explorer?
    You can always right click on the drive or "file" in question and select properties.
    The results are always available in Windows, in many places.

Otherwise you are looking for the Windows System APIs (Applications Programming Interfaces) for the specific functionality you desire.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    Windows File Explorer?
    You can always right click on the drive or "file" in question and select properties.
    The results are always available in Windows, in many places.

Otherwise you are looking for the Windows System APIs (Applications Programming Interfaces) for the specific functionality you desire.

Good luck
    Thank you...