Hi,

Good morning!!

I tried starting mysql from /usr/local, the location where i installed mysql

but after executing this command " bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql &"

Its coming like mysql is starting from /var/lib/mysql, which i never mentioned

and message coming like "STOPPING server from pid file /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid"

But there is no directory named mysqld or file mysqld.pid in /var/run location.

I have installed some rpms from the website for skype installation, i think this problem starts after the installation of those rpms.

Terminal output for your reference :

[root@localhost ~]# cd /usr/local
[root@localhost local]# cd mysql1
[root@localhost mysql1]# bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql &
[1] 3485
[root@localhost mysql1]# Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
STOPPING server from pid file /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
071022 10:02:31 mysqld ended

For mysql problem, i post a thread to discussion forum in "mysql" website and they replied as follows

"Chances are something has overwritten your /etc/my.cnf file. You may want to check and re-edit it. You can also check to see if there is a copy left behind with a .rpmsave extension.

You should also use 'rpm -qf /etc/my.cnf' to check if there is anRPM that owns the replaced file, as it may have added other items thatare going to cause you problems."

I checked for "my.cnf" file in /etc/, The file exist and i am attaching the same for your reference.But the "my.cnf" file is not there in Bhavani's machine. so i renamed the file and tried starting mysql again and the terminal displays output like

"[root@localhost mysql1]# Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /usr/local/mysql1/data
STOPPING server from pid file /usr/local/mysql1/data/localhost.localdomain.pid
071022 13:01:09 mysqld ended"

In that reply, they asked to check for rpm file with the command "rpm -qf /etc/my.cnf".when i run that command i got
"[root@localhost ~]# rpm -qf /etc/my.cnf
mysql-5.0.27-1.fc6".

Can u please suggest me a solution to this problem.

Thank you
Best Regards
Kamakshi