Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Kernel Compile WOES

Thread: Kernel Compile WOES

Kernel Compile WOES

Well, thought I had this kernel compile figured out. I was sure wrong.

Here is what happened. I was playing around with compling a new kernel on my system. Basically, I made my system messy and full of errors. Thats ok though, because I am learning.

So I figured I would do a reinstall and compile my new kernel. Ok, here is where the problems start.

First thing that blew me away (btw, installed 7.2) was that when i went to the /usr/src directory, there was nothing in there.

No problem, I though. I just downloaded the sourceball to the /usr/src and untarred the sucker. I then cd to the /usr/src/linux directory. Here is where the problems start:

I tried to execute the make menuconfig and received an error stating something like this:

"In order to run these feature, you need to have NCURSES installed on the system."
    (Somethine like the above, but I remember NCURSES)

I was dumbfounded. I have no idea what NCURSES is.

Question is, why before was able to execute make menuconfig, but after I reinstalled, I cannot and receive the error stating I need NCURSES installed?

Is it possible that, when I did the reinstall and I DID NOT specify "kernel development" to be installed, maybe some necessary packages were not installed that would allow me to execute the make menuconfig?

I'm lost now. Anyone have thoughts on what im missing?

THanks everyone!

Tarballed

Re: Kernel Compile WOES

(btw, installed 7.2)
    7.2 what? Redhat? Manrdrake?

"In order to run these feature, you need to have NCURSES installed on the system."
    ncurses5-dev is what is missing. You can get that as a package.

Since you didn't tell us what distro you're using I can't tell you which tool to use however it sounds like RedHat. Open your package manager and type in the find box ncurses, it should bring up a package or two. Install that and you should be good to go.

hello,
    I recommend you install the packages:

ncurses
    kernel-headers
    make
    automake
    rpm-build

then give it another shot. all those packages should be on your disks.

These commands always work for me. Don't need ncurses if you use xconfig. Also, don't forget to run lilo after you finish...or grub or whatever.

make mrproper
    make xconfig
    make dep
    make bzImage
    make modules
    make modules_install
    mv /vmlinuz /vmlinuz.old
    mv /boot/System.map /boot/System.map.old
    cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /vmlinuz
    cp System.map /boot
    lilo

Whoops. I apologize for that.

Distro im using is RedHat 7.2. :-[

I figured i was missing a package, its just a matter of getting and installing the package.

Good Guru

Whoops. I apologize for that.

Distro im using is RedHat 7.2. * *:-[

I figured i was missing a package, its just a matter of getting and installing the package.
    That happened to me on my skipjack #1 install at work. It was essentially not paying attention to what packages I installed. Not a problem really, just a hassle. pbharris noted pretty much exactly what I remember having to go grab and install.

And I don't know if you knew, but a bad kernel doesn't necessarily mean a reinstall. Just make sure that you keep your old kernel so you can boot off of that. The only changes that I need to make are for the nVIDIA modules (essentially gotta rebuild them) when I switch kernels. Trust me, I fudged up more than my share of kernels back in the day At one point I had a running record of not succesfully making 9 kernels. Granted I was a 4 week old newbie, but that is my record! Hahah. All in the learning.........