Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dns problem

Exclamation Dns problem

Hi....I am configure a new webpage with aprivate IP address & I want to announce this webpage in the Internet.I have configured DNS properly but whenever I put the address in the address bar it shows an error message "This page cannot be displayed".Please help its very urgent.

You need a DNS server to broadcast the FQDN out to all the other DNS servers so that it delegates. Once that is done, after about an hour or two, everyone should be able to resolve the domain name.
    arrogance breeds ignorance

Screaming Electron, Full of BSD Goodness

Exclamation Problem persists

I have put the FQDN in the DNS server.When I type the ip address in the address bar it displays the web page but when i type the name of the webpage it can't display the webpage.So, now what is the actual problem....please help me...

Does it show it resolving from the DNS server? For instance, if you type:

dig @<dns.server.ip> mywebsitefqdn.com

Does it return the FQDN and it's IP address? Second, is the DNS server set broadcast to the main servers?

Lightbulb

I perform nslookup with the ip address it returns the FQDN.But when it cannot resolve the FQDN from the other outside machines .

Ok, I guess there are some missing variables here. Are you running your own DNS server, and are you using that as one of your DNS servers for the system? Did you add the FQDN in the hosts file? If so, then you are resolving off of that, and not the DNS server itself. Is the DNS server for sure listening? To check, type 'netstat -l | grep domain' and see if it has any results. They would look like the following lines:

Code:
    tcp        0      0 localhost:domain        *:*                     LISTEN 
    udp        0      0 mydomain.com:domain *:*
    The reason I was saying to use dig is so you can see the reply from the DNS server, or to see if it's even allowing connections. What type of DNS server are you using if any?

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Kernel_Killer View Post
    Ok, I guess there are some missing variables here. Are you running your own DNS server, and are you using that as one of your DNS servers for the system? Did you add the FQDN in the hosts file? If so, then you are resolving off of that, and not the DNS server itself. Is the DNS server for sure listening? To check, type 'netstat -l | grep domain' and see if it has any results. They would look like the following lines:

Code:
    tcp        0      0 localhost:domain        *:*                     LISTEN 
    udp        0      0 mydomain.com:domain *:*
    The reason I was saying to use dig is so you can see the reply from the DNS server, or to see if it's even allowing connections. What type of DNS server are you using if any?

Yes, I did that I have performed "netstat-l|grep domain" it gives some results as you described.But now the problem is the ip can be ping from outside frequently..not all the time.So I think if I restart the service httpd...from the webserver....then will it solve the problem....waiting for your further reply....
    Also..dig command is giving the expected output......

Are you allow bind to do transfers, or doing recursion with another server?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Kernel_Killer View Post
    Are you allow bind to do transfers, or doing recursion with another server?
    Atlast problem is resolved....I just restart the services httpd and network.And change some line in DNS.

Good job!

Can you let us know what the mistake was in the DNS config so that others may refer to this thread while troubleshooting the same issue?