Thread: Problems with mobo (i think)

Problems with mobo (i think)

So i have a ASUS P5VDC-X mobo which worked great. Then i decided to clean the parts, removing dust and such so i removed all the parts and when i put them back the computer wont start. When i try to turn it on it gets power (the CPU and PSU fans start spinning) but then instantly turns off (fans stop spinning).

I tried plugging in the PSU in another computer and it works fine, as does the CPU so those are fine. The RAMs are ok aswell so i came to the conclusion that the mobo is at fault. I can not figure out what it is. The only clue i have is that fter i had cleaned it and put back all th parts i had a Jumper left over but after hours of trying different stuff it doesnt work so i figured it was nothing important.

Does anyone have an idea of what may be wrong or is the mobo damaged because of static electricity? (Note that i didnt use any protection against the latter because i havent had to before).

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I read some other guys thread (the "no power" thread) and i basically have the same problem but i dont have a case, actually i havent used a case for maybe one year with this computer and it still has worked fine until now.

How do check if the mobo is fried?

It sounds like it's shorting out on something. About the only thing you can look for on a fried mobo, that can be seen, is a swelled capacitor or two, or burns on any of the ICs.

Also, did you plug the P4 4-pin power connector back in? Also, did you try clearing the BIOS, and starting it? The only reason I ask that, is that ASUS is notorious for such issues, including the never turn-off feature (When shut down, it instantly starts back up).
    arrogance breeds ignorance

Screaming Electron, Full of BSD Goodness