Thread: How to create net connection on redhat Linux AS 3

Lightbulb How to create net connection on redhat Linux AS 3

I really need help. I have a broadband connection at home and using it from windows XP wherein its so easy to create a dialup connection using control panel. I have dual operating system with Redhat Linux AS 3 as the 2nd system. I really need to use my broadband with linux. I asked my service providers, but they don't know to work with linux. Could u plz guide me step by step for connecting to internet through linux?? I'm a new user of linux and really don't know linux in depth.

Thanking you all in anticipation
    -- HISSAM

http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/w...nux_Networking

specific hardware (modem router) go to manufactures web site.
    LASANTHA

So you have one computer that can boot either to XP or RedHat? Is the ethernet card enabled on RedHat? If so is it setup for dhcp?

Broadband should be a piece of cake

Quote Originally Posted by HISSAM View Post
    I really need help. I have a broadband connection at home and using it from windows XP wherein its so easy to create a dialup connection using control panel. I have dual operating system with Redhat Linux AS 3 as the 2nd system. I really need to use my broadband with linux. I asked my service providers, but they don't know to work with linux. Could u plz guide me step by step for connecting to internet through linux?? I'm a new user of linux and really don't know linux in depth.

Thanking you all in anticipation
    -- HISSAM
    First, your DSL modem does work as XP proves it so. Nice. I am assuming you have your computer connected using ethernet to your DSL modem and that you will use DHCP to accept your IP addresses and DNS information from your provider... ie: you do not have a static address... which is a whole other kettle of fish.

Crank up network config. Make sure that your ethernet card is configured, which it should be through the original install process. Your provider should tell you the IP address for your DSL modem. Say it's 192.168.10.1. Crank up Firefox and put that address in the address bar. You should see your modem's internal setup. All we're doing is proving that your machine talks to the modem via ethernet.

Go back to network config and set that IP address as your gateway and that DHCP is checked to retrieve DNS stuff. You should be good to go. Check to have it come on during boot too. Once you have everything setup, re-boot.

If you want to speed up internet name searches configure a local name server too.
    [URL="http://www.redhat.com/magazine/025nov06/features/dns/?sc_cid=bcm_edmsept_007"]http://www.redhat.com/magazine/025nov06/features/dns/?sc_cid=bcm_edmsept_007[/URL

That should do the trick for you and make the internet more responsive that your XP setup is. As usual YMMV, it all depends on your provider and the modem you have. Ric

dial up in linux

HI,

1) first u have to confirm that ur modem is installed or not. to verify type following command
    lspci
    it will list all the pci devices including modem if detected.

2) if modem is detected. do following
    install kde-network package. it will install kpp too
    now at terminal window type command 'kpp'. it will invoke a window then follow the step.

good luck