Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Best Distro
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Distro

Thumbs up Best Distro

Hey what is the best linux Distro if one is to opt for linux.

Please post your favourites out here.

Good Guru
    Red Hat flavors or Ubuntu tend to be the best overall from ease of use, retention of power, and breadth of software.

I would do this if you are looking into going linux. Before even dual booting or going cold turkey, install VMWare player and grab a Virtual Appliance of Fedora 7 and Ubuntu 7.04 and play with each. This will give you a good taste of what is available while still being able to go back to Windows instantly to do anything that is confusing or impossible with your skillset under Linux.

HTH.

I may add Linspire to the list when Linspire 6 is released and get to play with it. If Freespire 2 is any indication of what to expect, Linspire is fucked

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Madrake Linux is another one, but FC is much better.
    This will be over soon, and then I can ...

I've had a good look at Fedora, Ubuntu and others and put up with Mandriva for almost 2 years. I'm using Pclinuxos now and am very happy with it. I use the Xfce desktop and a number of Kde applications. I'm going to install its derivative Sam on the next release. I also have a Wolvix cd to look at. Wolvix has received a lot of favourable reviews.

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by fossy View Post
    I've had a good look at Fedora, Ubuntu and others and put up with Mandriva for almost 2 years. I'm using Pclinuxos now and am very happy with it. I use the Xfce desktop and a number of Kde applications. I'm going to install its derivative Sam on the next release. I also have a Wolvix cd to look at. Wolvix has received a lot of favourable reviews.

Mandriva has gotten alot better. I installed in a VM the latest release and was pleasantly suprised. PCLinuxOS was clean, just not up to my standards a few years back. I would presume that it has improved since that point (I'll take your usage as a testament to that). Sam I have never used, I may need to compile that or see if its in a Fedora repo. Wolvix sounds interesting. I am downloading that as we speak

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fedora
    telnet mtrek.game-host.org 1701

Quote Originally Posted by tratatux View Post
    Hey what is the best linux Distro if one is to opt for linux.

Please post your favourites out here.
    I've used many Fedoras since their inception, but would have to say that Ubuntu 7.04 is now my distro of choice.

Tom

For someone new to Linux.....

OpenSuse
    Fedora
    Mandriva
    Ubuntu

They are free......try them all and decide

all are great distros...... once you have a few years experience.... my choice is Arch Linux. It's what I currently use on 99% of all my computers.
    Arch Linux - Kernel 2.6.22.6-1 i686 optimized.......and it's FAST
    Simplest way to describe it........ Gentoo without the compile time lol

get hold of live cds and try for yourself

Good Guru
    Well even that can be a pain. USe VMWare Player on Windows and fire up Fedora, Freespire, and Ubuntu in that. There are preconfigured appliances on their site for that. Saves time, and allows one to suspend and return to windows in a matter of a few seconds rather than minutes when shutting down linux to go back to windows or vice verse. Nowadays, its not practical to use a dual boot at all. If you need MS for games, then use that as your host. If you need it for an oddball application or whatnot, use Linux or Mac as your host.